Alps Switch Clones Populate Wacky i-Rocks Mechanical Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

zahoome

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
What do you have against Lego? And why is a Lego compatible keyboard so bizarre? People need keyboards. Lego is awesome and fun. And when you're waiting for something to load or process or something, there's Lego... RIGHT ON YOUR KEYBOARD! What could be better than that?

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Let's be honest here. Lego is awesome and it's something that a lot of people never grow out of. Also it's a new switch from a lesser known company, so what better way to get publicity then make a product that's is actually interesting.

Only $139? Wow! I bet it will be hard keeping those in stock!

Actual animated gif of the keyboard designer just moments before coming up with the design idea for these keyboards. True story! :lol:

cheech.gif

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Heh, to be clear, I love LEGO. My childhood was LEGO, G.I. Joe, Transformers, playing in the woods, riding bikes, repeat. (Oh, and Micro Machines. Anyone else remember those? I digress.) But I do think it's weird to put LEGO on a keyboard. It seems to me like two good things that are awkwardly crammed together, like orange juice and chocolate.

Especially considering the switches! That's a major selling point, and they even have their own special 28g switch. But all that's hidden behind the LEGO stuff. Odd. Not bad necessarily, just odd. :)

(Wish I still had those Micro Machines somewhere...what did I ever do with those...?)

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Yes. I can't imagine what they must feel like. It's interesting too, that some of the other "speed" switches out there have shorter travel, whereas this one is the full 4mm.

zahoome

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011

Good, I'd have to question your sanity if you didn't like LEGO... or Transformers. :) Unfortunately, I never got to have Micro Machines, but I did get to play the Micro Machines NES game since my cousins had it. So much fun!

I guess I don't consider LEGO on a keyboard that odd. It gives you a level of customization you don't get with any other keyboard. It's something unique. And it's something easy to play with when idle. Let's face it, unless you have a killer system, you're going to be waiting on loading screens at least once in a while.

Ok, orange *juice* and chocolate would be odd. Orange and chocolate, however, is really really good.

I imagine there are people who will see the LEGO and buy the keyboard because of that, regardless of the switch. Some of these people probably don't know or care that keyboards have different switches.

28g. With a force that low, you might not even know/notice you're pressing the key, so 4mm vs 2mm might not matter all that much.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Heh...

I just think it would have made more sense for them to do a LEGO keyboard with Kailh switches or something, and ALSO launched a more "serious" keyboard with the fancy switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.