Question Alseye 90mm dual tower or Snowman 120mm single tower

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Last edited:

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
What cpu is this going on. Just because you want cheap, doesn't mean you'll get anything worth getting that isn't a total waste of money. Age not withstanding, I wouldn't put any of the above coolers on an 3770K or newer i7, definitely not on an i9, R7, R9 cpus and be hard pressed to think about even some R5's.

Rpm is useless as a gage by itself. You'd be better off with a 1200rpm, 50cfm fan than a 2200rpm 50cfm fan as the slower fan will almost always have higher static pressure and a much shallower curve, putting higher cfm through at lower than max speeds comparatively. Cfm by itself is useless without the sp to push it through the heatsink or everyone would be using high cfm airflow fans on radiators, not high sp fans. And a heatsink isn't anything more than a thick, free standing radiator.

Afaik, there is no DC mode for cpu_fan headers, they are all dedicated pwm, so any 3pin fan will be permanently at 12v, max speeds. Only 4pin PWM fans will be adjustable.
I have an old i5-4590 on a Biostar H81MLV3 with 8GB 1600 DDR3 sole stick and a Red Devil RX580 8GB
I’m saving up money to buy 4th gen Ryzen 5 4600 when it gets released or 3600 if prices went high

reason for upgrading forms tick cooler on i5-4590 is bcoz India is too hot and my when I play games my CPU teams are around 80-85C so thought of getting a cheap cooler($25-$30) that would be better than stock

You need to save up, about 3000inr, and just get a decent cooler. It doesn't matter about your financial situation. The laws of physics and whether a piece of hardware is crap or not, does not change based on what somebody can afford. Do you want to spent 2100inr on a piece of junk that you have to replace in 1 year or spend 3000inr on a decent cooler that will likely last you five to ten years. Simple. As. That.

Reactions: Arun05

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
You need to save up, about 3000inr, and just get a decent cooler. It doesn't matter about your financial situation. The laws of physics and whether a piece of hardware is crap or not, does not change based on what somebody can afford. Do you want to spent 2100inr on a piece of junk that you have to replace in 1 year or spend 3000inr on a decent cooler that will likely last you five to ten years. Simple. As. That.
Thank you for the advice I'll see if I could find some more money or else get one of the crappy one's and update about the temperate us so at least it might help others (if that happens)

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Also what would you suggest me for 3000INR?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ya know, is it just me or does that fan on the snowman cooler linked above look exactly like a Phanteks PH-F120SP with different color grommets, even down to the sound baffling on the blades.

If that really is a Phanteks fan, just branded (with a sticker) by Phanteks as an off brand (not that uncommon with some manufacturers), it's a very decent fan, not a piece of junk.

By all accounts it can't be worse than the stock cooler, (the one above), so I say go for it. If it doesn't last, it doesn't, lesson learned and you are out IR2k. If it does work out, happy gaming.

Reactions: Arun05 and RodroX

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Most of those budget heatpipe coolers look like budget replicas of other name-brand models, and is likely possible that they could be 2nd's or B-stock models that are resold/rebranded. This could mean anything from being flawed aesthetically, or have some minor defect in manufacturing.

I would hope that these wouldn't be re-sells/re-brands due to something serious like a faulty heatpipe or poor soldering of the heatpipes to the mounting base.

Or, in the best instance, they are just copycats, but still likely don't have the research and development budgets of known brands to do proper testing and design....they just build, check that it looks OK, box them and put on a shelf to sell.

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Adding fans to get a total doesn't work like that, much like installing 32-bit Windows two times gets you a 64-bit Windows installation.

I very highly doubt a 100cfm raning for a 120mm fan. Most of the highest performing 120mm fans I've seen are between 65-80cfm and these are from very well-known brands.

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Lets ignore the generic coolers and also ignore the price of hyper 212 evo in India
Hypothetically if I have budget enough to afford any of these two could the Diffuser X500 outperform the 212EVO?

CHIPTRONEX Diffuser X500 RGB(5heatpipe-3full and 2half) ₹ 1,765.00(On offer now usually 2200-2500)
https://www.amazon.in/CHIPTRONEX-Diffuser-X500-RGB-Cooler/dp/B07D2F4QYX
vs
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO(4 heatpipe)₹ 5,432.00
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B005O65JXI/ref=twister_B01KD24ZL4?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
(I believe Gammaxx 400 and hyper212 evo are similar in performance)

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
There is no way to know this without testing it.

Just looking at a photo is meaningless in terms to how well it actually performs. There isn't anything on that page that defines which is a better thermal solution.

I'm sorry, I know you want a straight forward answer, but there isn't one unless someone has tested and compared both.

Reactions: RodroX and Arun05

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
There is no way to know this without testing it.

Just looking at a photo is meaningless in terms to how well it actually performs. There isn't anything on that page that defines which is a better thermal solution.

I'm sorry, I know you want a straight forward answer, but there isn't one unless someone has tested and compared both.
ya I cant find any video comparing them directly saw a video comparing them

found a video of Antec A30 vs Diffuser X500
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ragb0QdqoZw

Antec A30(85C) Diffuser X500(55C) 30C difference

Tried searching for videos to compare Antec A30 vs Hyper 212 EVO sadly can't find anything
I am searching for Antec A30 compared to any other cooler so that i could compare that cooler with hyper 212 evo and then find the difference between hyper 212 evo and x500

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Why would you buy both? You have already said money is a concern, but now you are going to buy both coolers to compare? I like the idea, but did something change since the first few posts?

If you are only buying one to evaluate, that's great, but how are you going to compare to all other coolers?

If you only have 1 cooler, it automatically becomes the best cooler by default...because it's the only one you have.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
He'll have 2 coolers. The Intel stock vrs the new. Not much of a comparison for testing, but on the other hand, the stock coolers are pretty solid, the abuse/lack of cleaning they are often subjected to is amazing, and they don't die easy. Same can't be said for many aftermarket coolers, as those are more often than not, maintained with some regularity.

I don't think he MEANT he was going to buy both. Pretty sure he meant he was going to get the cheap cooler and then do a review of that, which is pointless because he has nothing to compare it to on the same platform so any "review" really just becomes "I like this" or "I don't like this" with nothing behind it except the idea that it kept his CPU from frying eggs. And even a stock cooler can do that with a 4590 which is really all you need anyhow.

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Why would you buy both? You have already said money is a concern, but now you are going to buy both coolers to compare? I like the idea, but did something change since the first few posts?

If you are only buying one to evaluate, that's great, but how are you going to compare to all other coolers?

If you only have 1 cooler, it automatically becomes the best cooler by default...because it's the only one you have.
Ill decide and get only one either Lanshou/Snowman/Diffuser x500 and then test ti against the stock cooler and share the results. so it may help someone.

Reactions: RodroX
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS