Also Unable to change e-mail!

Tanyac

Reputable
For almost a year now I've been trying to change my email address here on Tom's, off and on. But now, this is the only place left using my old email address and it's stopping me from closing off the old address completely.

I've followed the process described in the threads posted through this place and it doesn't work for me. I can't create a new account. I can't change the old account. I'm guessing, because I have so many posts, I wouldn't even be able to delete my account and start over.

So if I can't change my email address here and I go ahead and close the account at the email provider, apart from getting notifications about people replying to my posts what is the impact going to be?

I'm not going to use Yahoo any longer!

Please help

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Have you done this?

In order to change the email associated with their accounts, users have to perform the following steps:

1) Go to account settings: http://www.tomshardware.com/community/account

2) Under "Related Accounts", they must click "Add account"

3) From here, they must register and confirm a new account.

4) They then must log in with this second account, using the newly registered email.
4A) This will result in them being logged in to the original account.
4B) The dummy account is never used again and becomes inaccessible, despite still being, for all intents and purposes, present and existing in the database.

5) Then they have to navigate back to account settings

6) Under "Related Accounts", they need to hit "Edit" and choose the new email to act as the main email.

Tanyac

Reputable

Yes. Several times. Could not get it to work.

The username defaults to my original email address, which causes an error about alphanumeric characters. So I put in the user name Tanyac and it tells me I can't use that because it's already been used.

Seems I'm also in the situation, that even if I delete my account, all my posts won't be deleted (so the account is not really deleted), and I won't be able to create another account, at least that's how it reads from the number of posts I've read on these forums.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

If you like I can delete your account and all of your previous posts. Please PM your details and if you would like to ahead with this solution.

brucewol

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
Same problem for me. I DO NOT want my history deleted. Tried to create a new account and it says username already taken. I just want to change my email as i am moving from yahoo to gmail

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

If you would like to change your Tom's Hardware account e-mail please follow these steps below:

In order to change the email associated with their accounts, users have to perform the following steps:

1) Go to account settings: http://www.tomshardware.com/community/account

2) Under "Related Accounts", click "Add account"

3) From here, register and confirm a new account.

4) Log in with this second account, using the newly registered email.
a) This will result in you being logged in to the original account.

5) Navigate back to account settings

6) Under "Related Accounts", hit "Edit" and choose the new email to act as the main email.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

What you saw just previous to your last post was not an auto-reply. It was a sincere attempt to assist you. This is the procedure to change your email address. While not elegant, it does work.

Have you tried to perform this procedure? If so and it isn't working, at what point does the failure occur?

brucewol

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
don't think the confusion is on my part, have you actually tried to do what you suggest.i only see an option which creates a new account and i get this error message. I would post a screen shot of the account but don't think the forum has that capability.

Username brucewol
This username is already taken. Please try another one.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
So, I did follow the procedure and it works without a hitch. When you add the account, just select an account name (like your name in the new email address), don't try to use your current account/member name. This will create the dummy account as the steps suggest that won't really be used for anything. You'll still have your original account and be able to use your new email address.

Tanyac

Reputable
Lol. Of course it would work for you :) I'm just not that lucky.

I tried a new user name also. Still complained I could not use the new user name. I've only ever had one email account and user name here but no matter what I choose it gets rejected.