Question alt-tabbing black screen for a few seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wooderzon

Prominent
Feb 26, 2020
I just got a 240hz monitor. A Viewsonic XG270. I have an issue where when I alt-tab in Destiny 2 my screen will go black for a few seconds then the game will show back up. The only way to successfully alt-tab from in game is to hold down alt, and eventually after a few seconds my other windows/desktop will appear. I've seen other posts with similar black screen issues around the internet, and people saying to play in windowed full screen as this seems to be an issue with full screen games. On my other monitor, the one I was using before, I am able to alt-tab with no problem, even in full screen. This seems to not be isolated to just Destiny as I have this issue in other games as well.

Wooderzon

Prominent
Feb 26, 2020
Odd, I've never NOT had this issue with Full screen games. Windowed or borderless windowed work fine.
Odd, I've never NOT had this issue with Full screen games. Windowed or borderless windowed work fine.
Yeah, def seems to be an issue with fullscreen. It's just weird that my other monitor, as well as my console monitor, don't have this issue, even in fullscreen. I just get way less frames when playing in windowed-fullscreen, so sadly not an option.

vidjagames72

Honorable
May 1, 2014
Potential fix, turn off G-sync on the monitor.

Just had a windows update cause this for me while borderless windowed in Warframe, alt-tab out of the game or back to it would result in 2-3 seconds of black screen. Eventually thought to check one monitor vs the other and it only happened on the newer one, Alienware AW2521HF. Next thought was that the new one has adaptive sync, turned that setting off in the monitor itself and issue went away. Doesn't make sense to me because I didn't have that setting enabled on the computer to take advantage of it so don't know why it would interact in this way but it did. From looking up your monitor it's gsync not adaptive sync but thought it might be worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.