Question Alt tabbing glitch? Can't get back into the game

kevinjmay

Distinguished
May 31, 2015
In all my years of building pcs, this one has been the bane of my existence. Here are my specs:

Windows 11 Pro
Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Intel i9-13900K (does anyone want to buy this? I don't want it anymore)
GeForce RTX 3080 TI
64GB of G.Skill Ripjaw S5 DDR5-6000
Corsair RM1000x PSU

Little short story before I get to my current problem. I built my computer back in 2023. For the past 9+ months I've been having lots of "out of memory" issues when trying to play directx 12 games, such as Cyberpunk and BF2042, and recently Intel finally came out and said that there was some sort of microcode issue with their newer cpus that was causing this issue. Plus an additional issue with motherboard companies not putting in the correct spec voltages or whatever. Previously, I was able to "fix" this by under volting the CPU slighlty. And then, a new bios update came out that seemed to have "fixed" all of the issues I was having with my computer, without the need to use programs like intel extreme tuning utility to under volt my CPU. Everything was fine for awhile.

Until, I decided to try and play Star Wars Outlaws. My computer started throwing up blue screens of death constantly. Which I honestly haven't had in many years. Sometimes while I was playing, sometimes when I would close out of the game, and there was no obvious cause to why it was happening. I don't understand dump files enough to use those to troubleshoot my issue.

In my attempt to fix it, I tried installing the game on different drives, updated my gpu driver, and updated my bios again to a new version. I'm not sure which one of these things caused the most harm, but my computer started having even more issues. I eventually gave up and did a fresh install of Windows 11. Hoping this would resolve whatever issues I was having. I also made sure to use a different gpu driver and bios version with this fresh install (the ones that I think were running fine).

I was wrong. I ran into this really fun glitch that I've NEVER experienced in all my years of gaming. If I try to alt tab out of a game and then back into the game it freaks out and tries to open it and closes multiple times, over and over, never allowing me to alt tab back into the game anymore. The game in question is The Crew 2, runs on ubisoft connect, and the overlay is disabled. Has anyone had this before? Any idea on how to fix it? Is it just a ubisoft connect issue? I have BF2042 installed and I can alt tab out and back in with ZERO issues.

Video:
View: https://youtube.com/shorts/iOvmjaV3O7E?feature=share

I'm having other weird issues as well, but I'll save those for later.

If I try to alt tab out of a game and then back into the game it freaks out and tries to open it and closes multiple times, over and over, never allowing me to alt tab back into the game anymore. The game in question is The Crew 2
i've had many different experiences with many different games from many different developers regarding the ability to alt-tab from within.

some may just show the Taskbar until releasing the keys, some may do nothing at all, some may go straight to the Desktop with no problem at all, others may crash with an error message or just crash outright, etc...

sometimes it really depends on the specific game's setting; Windowed, Borderless Windowed, Fullscreen, etc what happens.

sometimes to get back into a game you may need to use Task Manager and choose to maximize a specific game's process.

i wouldn't take this as an issue with the OS or anything that would normally be "fixable". just a trait of a game's development.