Alteratives to Noctua NH-U12S

Kingsmash

Reputable
Oct 23, 2014
Hi, I ordered a Noctua U12S for a new build because it is so solid. I was hoping to order a Cryorig H7 but there is absolutely zero availability in Canada as far as I can see, and it looks like the cooling falls quite a bit behind at high power consumption (I am running a 9700K). I don't necessarily need 140W+ for cooling but why not go for the better option when it is available. Two problems though:

1. Aesthetics. Fixing this requires a chromax fan and heat sink cover. This amounts to $80 (cooler) + $31 (fan) + $25 (cover) = $136 CAD. This is a lot for aesthetics that really should be better out of the box. I also have 2x Silent Wings 3 or 2x Noctua NF-A14 chromax fans for intake (haven't picked which to use yet). All together, it is $200-215 CAD for an air setup because I prefer it over an AIO. Does someone need to talk some sense into me or is this not that crazy?

2. The heat sink cover adds 6mm and that pushes it to 164mm tall. My case specifies a max cooler height of 164mm. If it does just fit, I am concerned that it will look odd with the cooler pressed up against the side window. Can anyone advise? Case is NZXT H400 for reference.

I am not prepared to deal with Noctua aesthetics out of the box, so either I pay for at least the chromax fan or go for another cooler. The H7 Quad Lumi is not available but the H5 Ultimate is an option if it doesn't obstruct more than the first memory slot. Any suggestions? Aesthetics are a priority.

Many thanks for any help!

EDIT: Ordered a Dark Rock 4.

Solution
You could look at the Be Quiet! range of coolers, I'd pick something that has at least 180W TDP support. Overclocking on the i7's dump more heat than they are rated to at 95W.

If you've got a PCPartPicker list, that would help us in understand what other parts might have clearance issues.

Lutfij

Titan
You could look at the Be Quiet! range of coolers, I'd pick something that has at least 180W TDP support. Overclocking on the i7's dump more heat than they are rated to at 95W.

If you've got a PCPartPicker list, that would help us in understand what other parts might have clearance issues.

Solution

Kingsmash

Reputable
Oct 23, 2014

Thanks for the suggestion. The Dark Rock 4 looks very promising!

For reference, here is my parts list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/qyNyr6

My current build had its 7th birthday in October so I went a bit overboard at a less than opportune time - would have liked to make it to Q4. Got nearly everything on sale so its not as bad as it looks. Everything is still sealed in box so can be swapped out if necessary.

I like the simplicity of air. Overall, it makes for a more satisfying build. While I do like some of the RGB options for AIO, I don't need yet more software to control them. I don't like big air coolers though, and if I had to go up to an NH-D15, it would likely push me to an AIO.

All that said, I would love custom cooling in my build because it looks amazing when done right. I have no idea how to do it though and now isn't a good time to learn. Maybe for the next one...

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer

I prefer air over liquid for under $150 unless it's made by EK or Swiftech. I don't really like the idea of buying a liquid cooler that costs the same for the entire cooler as it does for 1 quality pump or one good block.

asetekdennis

Prominent
Jan 4, 2019

Oh okay. Yeah the RGB aspect is really cool. I do understand the frustration over the fragmentation, software wise. It's starting to get quite frustrating - but at the same time, there isn't really one ultimate solution.
Imagine if someone made some freeware that could control all of them :love:

Custom loops do look amazing! Well, they CAN look amazing ;) Personally I haven't done custom loops for a while, because I'm afraid of leaks... My hardware is just too expensive ;)

Once again a little curious. Why would you assume that a $150 EK or Swifttech product is better? :)
Yeah of course you could get a single quality pump, but you'd still need a block, radiator, tubing, liquid etc ;) I personally love custom loops, they look amazing! But I must admit that I always dread leaks.

The benefit of air I get, it's super easy to see if it's working and, as long as you have decent air filters, it's pretty easy to use. Obviously I'm a water cooling guy myself, if nothing else for the bling and performance ;)