Alternate between 2 GPUs without disconnecting video

Mar 2, 2018
Hello everybody! So, here's my problem. I've got a gtx 1060 6gb and a 1070 ti, I use them for many different applications and they are usually working 24/7. I do minning, 3d rendering, gamming and video edit on them and when I use one gpu for gamming or video edit I usually turn off minning on this gpu and let only the other minning.

However there are times I want to choose one of my graphics card for a specific game, for exemple, I know that my 1060 is perfectly fine to run A Hat in Time in ultra 60 fps but for other heavier games like Quantum Break it's better use my gtx 1070 ti to achieve the same thing. However the only way I found of alternating between the 2 card is by unpluging the video cable from one card and switching it to the other.

Is there a way I can play a game using my gtx 1060 but my monitor is connected to my 1070 ti? Thank you very much! Hope you guys can help me out with this.

Solution
I'm thinking that you could use the "M" part of a KVM switch, because you have 2 different video source (similar to 2 PC's) going to 1 monitor. Just be sure to get a KVM switch that supports the resolution and refresh rate of your monitor.
I'm thinking that you could use the "M" part of a KVM switch, because you have 2 different video source (similar to 2 PC's) going to 1 monitor. Just be sure to get a KVM switch that supports the resolution and refresh rate of your monitor.

Solution
Mar 2, 2018

Thank you very much man! Would there be any quality loss by using these switches?

Oops - just realized I typed "M", instead of "V". You would just use the video part. I'd leave the keyboard and mouse plugged into your PC. You'll need to research the KVM switches and pick one that supports the connector type you use (DVI-D, HDMI or DP) and the resolution and refresh rate of your monitor. If you match these specs up, you shouldn't have any quality loss.

I'd recommend not switching for different games. The 1070ti would use less power on the lower end games to achieve the same fps as the 1060. For other uses, I'm still not seeing a logical reason to switch. For mining, rendering, those don't need a monitor connected to them to be able to select them.

But there is no quality loss from a kvm switch. You can also try 2 cables connected to the monitor and just select a different input on the monitor.

Mar 2, 2018

Thank you very much man! Reason for switching is that the Hash rate of 1070 ti is higher than 1060, so it's better use the 1060 when I can play games ultra 60 fps on it. My monitor unfortunately has only one input, if there's no quality loss then the switch might be a better option, unpluging the dvi cable too much may lead the gpus's cable input to faster degradation