Alternative emulators that run on DOS

I just got my first cabinet put together. Got my parts from
www.groovygamegear.com (keywiz is great!) and used Lusid's upright
cabinet design. With help from this list I am running well with Vantage
on a Pentium 133.

Now my problem is that I am jonesin' to play some of the games that mame
will run, but vantage appears not to run (joust, qix, raiden). But I
know that mame is just too slow on this machine. Are there any other
DOS emulators I could try that have compatibility with more of the mame
roms? Pacman is only fun for so long :-(

Also, any general advice is welcome such as: if the only thing that will
get me past this is a machine upgrade?

Thanks,
John

sinner

* John Leveille wrote in alt.games.mame:
> I just got my first cabinet put together. Got my parts from
> www.groovygamegear.com (keywiz is great!) and used Lusid's upright
> cabinet design. With help from this list I am running well with Vantage
> on a Pentium 133.

> Now my problem is that I am jonesin' to play some of the games that mame
> will run, but vantage appears not to run (joust, qix, raiden). But I
> know that mame is just too slow on this machine. Are there any other
> DOS emulators I could try that have compatibility with more of the mame
> roms? Pacman is only fun for so long :-(

> Also, any general advice is welcome such as: if the only thing that will
> get me past this is a machine upgrade?

Why not just grab an old version of mame that emulates the games you
want?

--
David
.... A booming voice says, "Wrong, cretin!", and you notice that you

i was using dos mame v.36 for a while on that speed computer.
some games just aren't playable but for the most part i was able to play
most of the classics.

eventually though.. you're going to want to upgrade.

k.

-----8<-----
>>Now my problem is that I am jonesin' to play some of the games that mame
>>will run, but vantage appears not to run (joust, qix, raiden). But I
>>know that mame is just too slow on this machine. Are there any other
>>DOS emulators I could try that have compatibility with more of the mame
>>roms? Pacman is only fun for so long :-(
-----8<-----
> Why not just grab an old version of mame that emulates the games you
> want?

(According to catver)

joust - v.30
joust2 - v.35b06
joustr - v.23
joustwr - v.30
qix - v.23
qix2 - v.30
qixa - v.35b03
qixb - v.35rc1
sqix - v.31
sqixa - v.84u1
sqixbl - v.31
twinqix - v.37b15
raiden - v.36b01
raiden2 - v.74u2
raiden2a - v.81u1
raiden2b - v.81u1
raiden2c - v.81u1
raiden2e - v.81u1
raidena - v.36b12
raidenk - v.36b12
raident - v.62

If you run your games using the first version that runs them properly,
you are almost /guaranteed/ to have the best frame rate possible.
(/YOU/ can have the fun of setting everything up, though. <GBEG>)

--
Thnik about it!
Dead_Dad

oh yeah. i fogot to mention.. it WAS a pain in the ass.

:)

keith corcoran wrote on 04. April 2005:

> i was using dos mame v.36 for a while on that speed computer.
> some games just aren't playable but for the most part i was able to play
> most of the classics.

0.36 is a good bet. Or one of the 50s, like 0.56 if some roms don't work
in the 0.36.
--
By(e) Andreas

Don't forget about Sparcade. It runs lightening fast.

Darryl

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 03:50:21 GMT, John Leveille <nobody@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>I just got my first cabinet put together. Got my parts from
>www.groovygamegear.com (keywiz is great!) and used Lusid's upright
>cabinet design. With help from this list I am running well with Vantage
>on a Pentium 133.
>
>Now my problem is that I am jonesin' to play some of the games that mame
>will run, but vantage appears not to run (joust, qix, raiden). But I
>know that mame is just too slow on this machine. Are there any other
>DOS emulators I could try that have compatibility with more of the mame
>roms? Pacman is only fun for so long :-(
>
>Also, any general advice is welcome such as: if the only thing that will
>get me past this is a machine upgrade?

Raine - http://www.rainemu.com
it emulates about 500 games, most will run full speed on a 300mhz
pentium II so i'd expect a lot will run ok on a 133. Though I've not
tried it - it's got the ability to connect to a 15khz arcade monitor
(like vantage) if that's important.

Retrocade http://www.retrogames.com/retrocade.html (no official page)
about 100 games
most should run ok on a 133

Callus http://www.sys2064.com/callus.htm (official page dead?)
capcom system 1 emulator - 28 games
only emulates two games that would be of interest to you - mercs and
1941

there are some others...see the above two websites

Don't forget Neil Bradley's EMU. The mother of all vector game emulators.

--
Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand
Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand...

TRENDING THREADS