Question Alternative options to Sony a7ii?

Nigel Thornberry11

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016
Hi guys,

Would just like some personal opinions on comparing a few camera options.
At the moment I feel leaning towards mirrorless full frame and Sony a7ii seems to be an appropriate option, but looking for some alternatives that are possibly newer with better features/firmware etc for around the same price.

I've heard that the video isn't great on the a7ii either.. Is it really that bad that I should look at something else?

I am primarily wanting to use this camera for stills (landscape/motorsports photography), but would also like to do cinematic video shots and slow mo for montages like you see on YouTube.

I don't need 4k, but would be great to have 1080, 120fps to get that buttery smooth slow motion and still have great stills ability and quality, but I know that means looking at much more expensive models.. so it''s not 100% essential, I can deal with 1080 60p for now and upgrade in a few years.
I feel like it's worth hitting two birds with one stone now to save myself wanting to upgrade sooner, but don't want to break the bank :sweatsmile:

*(Ideal budget < $1500 AUD so I can still afford a decent lens, open to second hand options too)

Also a suggestion for my first lens that would be a great all-rounder for both video and photography before I invest a lot for individual purposes.

I'm not hugely knowledgable and I've only done a minimal amount of research, so any alternative suggestions would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

cin19

Titan
Because the a7ii is the full-frame camera so that you need to buy the full-frame lens too. Keep in mind, you will pay lot more for the full-frame lens.

And it depends on your budget, may consider this lens:
Sony SEL24240 FE 24-240mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS Zoom Lens, review: https://kenrockwell.com/sony/lenses/24-240mm.htm

And you will need to find the review for the lens you are interesting too. Don't just check the price, and not read the review.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS