[SOLVED] Alternative to backing up games/files

BillWiTheScienceFi

Reputable
Oct 4, 2019
Is there a cheaper alternative to saving my games/files from old pc to transfer to new pc. I' really rather not spend an extra 45$ on something im only going to use temporarily (was going with a seagate external drive)

I found a way to back up my photos with google drive but am wondering if i can do the same with my games/music. Talking like less than 200gb...

Solution
What kind of drive is this? Will it be the new system's primary drive? Are you putting an SSD in the system? Depending on what kind of drive you have now, it might be worth buying a new SSD for your new system's primary drive, and using your existing drive as a secondary. It's possible to find SSDs with around 500GB of capacity for $50-$60, or around 250GB for around $30-$40, and an SSD should load things much faster than a regular hard drive, if that's what you currently have.

Also, if the games were downloaded through services like Steam, it would probably be better to re-download them that way rather than uploading them to some cloud service just to download them again. : P
What kind of drive is this? Will it be the new system's primary drive? Are you putting an SSD in the system? Depending on what kind of drive you have now, it might be worth buying a new SSD for your new system's primary drive, and using your existing drive as a secondary. It's possible to find SSDs with around 500GB of capacity for $50-$60, or around 250GB for around $30-$40, and an SSD should load things much faster than a regular hard drive, if that's what you currently have.

Also, if the games were downloaded through services like Steam, it would probably be better to re-download them that way rather than uploading them to some cloud service just to download them again. : P

Solution

BillWiTheScienceFi

Reputable
Oct 4, 2019

im using a 500gb ssd as primary drive and using this 1tb toshiba drive as secondary. Dont know what your post has to do with the question i asked... I am trying to find a way to back up my games so i dont have to redownload them without spending extra on an external ssd...