Alternative to heat sink fan?

antoniodireito

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
I can't fit my fan over my heat sink and put the case over. It physically will not fit. Are there any alternatives to this? It is the stock fan. I was considering opening the side of my computer and having a fan blowing directly into the CPU area but I'm not sure if that's dangerous. Any help is appreciated

LilDog1291

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
A heat sink MUST be on the CPU before turning the computer on or you may damage your processor. If you do not have a fan on the heatsink, then you must have some way of getting air over it to pull heat away. I would either buy a bigger case or a smaller heatsink. Those are your only two real options.

antoniodireito

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015

Not sure what you mean as cooler. Where would this be located?
My case is an older cooler master, would it be possible to replace my heat sink with something smaller? I bought this pc custom made so I'm not sure if it's the stock heat sink or not

antoniodireito

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015

http://imgur.com/gallery/kkDW7

Theres a pic of my cpu with the gray/metal heatsink. I also took a picture of the case having an opening for the fan directly over the heat sink, and the fan itself. I really think the only thing i can do is get a smaller h.s

antoniodireito

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015

I bought it used about a month ago. Considering its a good build i was having bad fps and couldnt understand why. Just downloaded speccy the other day and it told me my temperatures were 80s - 90s

The cooler looks like Scythe Mugen.
Mugen-ViewFront.jpg

I don't really see any problem with that setup. How exactly are you trying to fit a fan over CPU heat sink?
1st Remove those fans from side panel.
2nd Does your pc case have any frontal intake fan/fans? Can't see in that photo. Front intake fan is essential for keeping temperatures down.
3rd Replace thermal paste of your CPU cooler. Most likely it has dried out, if you're getting such high temperatures.
4th Attach fan to cooler like in the picture.

antoniodireito

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015

Just wanted to thank u for all the help, as you can tell I'm not exactly a computer wiz.
1. Why would I remove fans?
2. Not quite sure if I can remove the front panel, do you know where I could find the name of my case and look for a manual ?
3. Ok, going to Canada computers tommorow and they are taking care of that for me
4. Not quite sure what the "cooler" is

You said, you can't close pc case and side panel fans are not really necessary (if you have frontal intake fans).

Post a better picture of the case. Maybe somebody can identify it. Usually there are plastic latches (or screws) accessible from inside of the case

Cooler usually is combination of heat sink + fan. Picture in my previous post is a cooler. Passive cooler would be heat sink without a fan.