Alternative to home runs

digityzed

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
I have a floor with about 15 rooms relatively spread apart from each other. Each room will have anywhere between 2 to 16 network devices (computers and printers). I need to run Cat 6 from the server/networking closet to all rooms (currently there's nothing) and naturally figured I'll do home runs straight to the multiple wall or surface mounted jacks in every room. Now I'm dreading the amount of labor involved and I'm thinking of running just one Cat 6 cable to a un-managed switch in each room, then from the switch to each wall or surface mounted jack. Is this a good strategy? Are there any benefits I lose going with the latter method over the former?

Solution
Depends on the bandwidth you need. If you home run everything back to a single switch the limitation is the backplane of the switch which now days means no limitation.

Doing it the way you propose you are limiting the machines in each group to the uplink speed between each switch and a main switch. If you use gig uplinks you should have no issues. They do make 10g uplinks if you really need that but you will need to run cat 6a cable.

One of the key advantages of a central room is that you can control access to the equipment better. You get fewer things people can unplug that you then have to troubleshoot

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Depends on the bandwidth you need. If you home run everything back to a single switch the limitation is the backplane of the switch which now days means no limitation.

Doing it the way you propose you are limiting the machines in each group to the uplink speed between each switch and a main switch. If you use gig uplinks you should have no issues. They do make 10g uplinks if you really need that but you will need to run cat 6a cable.

One of the key advantages of a central room is that you can control access to the equipment better. You get fewer things people can unplug that you then have to troubleshoot

Solution

digityzed

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006

LMFAO!!! Very true. That is the very reason I gained this client - somebody created a loop and brought the network down for two weeks.