[SOLVED] Alternative to Ryzen 3 3200G?

Jun 26, 2020
I'm building my dad an affordable office PC, and I've gotten all the components besides the CPU.
I ordered the Ryzen 3 3200G off Amazon on June 24th and it was set to deliver in 4 days, however they've pushed it back twice now and are asking for my approval yet again to have it delivered by August 7th; I've given up on it at this point.

I was originally pairing the Ryzen 3 3200G with a MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard and a 400W power supply.
However now that I've chosen to find another CPU - and the prices of CPU have gone up since then (I'm trying to stay within the $75-90 CPU range I was initially within), I've been thinking of getting the AMD Athlon 200GE.

I know that it doesn't perform as well as the Ryzen 3 3200G, but it goes for $80 on Amazon, which is $7 cheaper than what the Ryzen 3 3200G cost when I purchased it. As far as I can tell from PCPartPicker, there's no compatibility issue with the motherboard, but does anyone know if there's a better alternative CPU for a similar price range with integrated graphics?

Build
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3200G
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan 2x8 GB
Storage: 2 TB HDD + 240GB SSD
Chassis: Rosewill SRM-01B
Power Supply: EVGA 400W

Solution
Regarding buying a used GPU, I think no matter how I pair it with a CPU, it'll definitely cost more than if I were to just get the Athlon. My dad is using it for purely office purposes; so that means using Microsoft Office, other third-party programs to punch in numbers and Google Chrome. That's why I figured maybe getting an Athlon with an iGP will suffice still.

Do you know of any similar Intel processor with iGP that could work?

For that kind of use-case, the Athlon should be adequate.

Given you've already bought the board etc, switching to Intel is probably not he most economical route to go.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
There's no CPU on AM4, with an iGP that'll compete for similar money.

The 3200G should sell for ~$100.... but the time you drop to the Athlon's, you drop down in GPU calibre and core count (in some instances).

Maybe the Athlon will suffice for your dad? Afterall, it has a target market - but typically if the 3200G was on the radar, only the 2000 series equivalent R3 makes much sense for 'similar' - and the 3400G as a step up.

Perhaps opting for a Ryzen3 with no iGP and adding a discreet GPU from the used market might be an option?

Jun 26, 2020
There's no CPU on AM4, with an iGP that'll compete for similar money.

The 3200G should sell for ~$100.... but the time you drop to the Athlon's, you drop down in GPU calibre and core count (in some instances).

Maybe the Athlon will suffice for your dad? Afterall, it has a target market - but typically if the 3200G was on the radar, only the 2000 series equivalent R3 makes much sense for 'similar' - and the 3400G as a step up.

Perhaps opting for a Ryzen3 with no iGP and adding a discreet GPU from the used market might be an option?

Regarding buying a used GPU, I think no matter how I pair it with a CPU, it'll definitely cost more than if I were to just get the Athlon. My dad is using it for purely office purposes; so that means using Microsoft Office, other third-party programs to punch in numbers and Google Chrome. That's why I figured maybe getting an Athlon with an iGP will suffice still.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

For that kind of use-case, the Athlon should be adequate.

Given you've already bought the board etc, switching to Intel is probably not he most economical route to go.

Solution
Jun 29, 2020
Could always drop the 16gb to 8gb ram and that’ll give you more budget for cpu. A ryzen 3 1200 af and gt 730 runs just over 100 bucks on eBay . And if you can get by with a a320 board might be cheaper than a b450 board. Figure you can drop the ram to 8gb since original plan was to go with Budget cpu with igpu. But just for office work that athlon cpu should be fine.