Alternatives to ATI's capture software

I'd like to know if there are any alternatives to ATI's new capture
software. Preferrably open source ones. I currently use an ATI HDTV
Wonder to capture (the actual hardware is fine. I can get a ton of OTA
HD channels from Atlanta). Back when I had my old ATI 64 Mb video card
I used Virtual Dub to capture analog TV via my receiver. However, ATI
has since thrown out their support for WDM capture drivers which is
what Virtual Dub is built to use. Moreso, I'm looking for an
alternative to their HDTV capture software, which only captures in that
crummy VCR format ATI made, so I can't resize it and burn it to disc or
anything. Which really blows. Not to mention their software captures
out of synch. Any help would be lovely. Thanks.

<omniweapon@ppgworld.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to know if there are any alternatives to ATI's new capture
> software. Preferrably open source ones. I currently use an ATI HDTV
> Wonder to capture (the actual hardware is fine. I can get a ton of OTA
> HD channels from Atlanta). Back when I had my old ATI 64 Mb video card
> I used Virtual Dub to capture analog TV via my receiver. However, ATI
> has since thrown out their support for WDM capture drivers which is
> what Virtual Dub is built to use. Moreso, I'm looking for an
> alternative to their HDTV capture software, which only captures in that
> crummy VCR format ATI made, so I can't resize it and burn it to disc or
> anything. Which really blows. Not to mention their software captures
> out of synch. Any help would be lovely. Thanks.

What do you mean no support? All the ATI drivers i've tried, including the
latest 4.12 beta for HL2, include WDM drivers which support my ATI vivo
card. Once you get them installed then you can use any capture software you
like, although you should note all are not of the same quality. You will of
course be using the All in Wonder drivers, whcih may not include the WDM
drivers. The VIVO drivers allow the WDM driver to be downloaded seperatly,
so perhaps your not downloading the full driver and missing them?

"John Russell" <john_e_russell@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> <omniweapon@ppgworld.com> wrote in message
>> I'd like to know if there are any alternatives to ATI's new capture
>> software. Preferrably open source ones. I currently use an ATI HDTV
>> Wonder to capture (the actual hardware is fine. I can get a ton of OTA
>> HD channels from Atlanta). Back when I had my old ATI 64 Mb video card
>> I used Virtual Dub to capture analog TV via my receiver. However, ATI
>> has since thrown out their support for WDM capture drivers which is
>> what Virtual Dub is built to use. Moreso, I'm looking for an
>> alternative to their HDTV capture software, which only captures in that
>> crummy VCR format ATI made, so I can't resize it and burn it to disc or
>> anything. Which really blows. Not to mention their software captures
>> out of synch. Any help would be lovely. Thanks.
>>

> What do you mean no support? All the ATI drivers i've tried, including the
> latest 4.12 beta for HL2, include WDM drivers which support my ATI vivo
> card. Once you get them installed then you can use any capture software
> you like, although you should note all are not of the same quality. You
> will of course be using the All in Wonder drivers, whcih may not include
> the WDM drivers. The VIVO drivers allow the WDM driver to be downloaded
> seperatly, so perhaps your not downloading the full driver and missing
> them?

I've checked up on this device and it works the same way as my DVB TV card.
You don't need a capture driver as the card itself is recieving compressed
HDTV video. All the card does is supply the HDTV data for decoding by a
software HDTV player, or dumps it to raw to disk for playback later.

<omniweapon@ppgworld.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to know if there are any alternatives to ATI's new capture
> software. Preferrably open source ones. I currently use an ATI HDTV
> Wonder to capture (the actual hardware is fine. I can get a ton of OTA
> HD channels from Atlanta). Back when I had my old ATI 64 Mb video card
> I used Virtual Dub to capture analog TV via my receiver. However, ATI
> has since thrown out their support for WDM capture drivers which is
> what Virtual Dub is built to use. Moreso, I'm looking for an
> alternative to their HDTV capture software, which only captures in that
> crummy VCR format ATI made, so I can't resize it and burn it to disc or
> anything. Which really blows. Not to mention their software captures
> out of synch. Any help would be lovely. Thanks.

MMC 9.03(the real 9.03 not 9.02 that displays as 9.03) Allows recording in
many formats. Check out the DVR tab.

<omniweapon@ppgworld.com> wrote in message
<snip>
> what Virtual Dub is built to use. Moreso, I'm looking for an
> alternative to their HDTV capture software, which only captures in that
> crummy VCR format ATI made, so I can't resize it and burn it to disc or
> anything. Which really blows. Not to mention their software captures
> out of synch. Any help would be lovely. Thanks.

I'm not familiar with HDTV Capture or TV but I do know that ATIs drivers ARE
WDM (and not the now ancient Video for Windows standard) AND the "crummy VCR
format ATI made" (which actually records with my All In Wonders better than
any other format except avi - and the sound is in sync) can be easily
converted to mpeg 2 using ATIs library utility which comes with MMC.

Paul

If I said WDM, I guess I meant to say VFW. Something like that. My
older ATI capture card used to work with VirtualDub but it no longer
does. I was told it's because ATI wants people to use their software
and not some open source thing. I'll see how it goes. I don't want all
this HDTV to go to waste. Thanks.

Paul Murphy wrote:
> <omniweapon@ppgworld.com> wrote in message
> <snip>
> > what Virtual Dub is built to use. Moreso, I'm looking for an
> > alternative to their HDTV capture software, which only captures in
that
> > crummy VCR format ATI made, so I can't resize it and burn it to
disc or
> > anything. Which really blows. Not to mention their software
captures
> > out of synch. Any help would be lovely. Thanks.
> >
> I'm not familiar with HDTV Capture or TV but I do know that ATIs
drivers ARE
> WDM (and not the now ancient Video for Windows standard) AND the
"crummy VCR
> format ATI made" (which actually records with my All In Wonders
better than
> any other format except avi - and the sound is in sync) can be easily

> converted to mpeg 2 using ATIs library utility which comes with MMC.
>
> Paul

> If I said WDM, I guess I meant to say VFW. Something like that. My
> older ATI capture card used to work with VirtualDub but it no longer
> does. I was told it's because ATI wants people to use their software
> and not some open source thing. I'll see how it goes. I don't want all
> this HDTV to go to waste. Thanks.

Pinnacle Studio8 and Nero can capture from either of the analog capture
devices on my system(theater(AIW) and DTV analog capture(HDTV Wonder)).
These apps still view/capture through the ATI drivers. Neither gets access
to DTV. Your not actually capturing DTV, it more like receiving a file. Have
not seen it in print yet but suspect copy protection issues will make using
DTV different than analog.

> If I said WDM, I guess I meant to say VFW. Something like that. My
> older ATI capture card used to work with VirtualDub but it no longer
> does. I was told it's because ATI wants people to use their software
> and not some open source thing. I'll see how it goes. I don't want all
> this HDTV to go to waste. Thanks.
>

> Paul Murphy wrote:
>> <omniweapon@ppgworld.com> wrote in message
>> <snip>
>> > what Virtual Dub is built to use. Moreso, I'm looking for an
>> > alternative to their HDTV capture software, which only captures in
> that
>> > crummy VCR format ATI made, so I can't resize it and burn it to
> disc or
>> > anything. Which really blows. Not to mention their software
> captures
>> > out of synch. Any help would be lovely. Thanks.
>> >
>> I'm not familiar with HDTV Capture or TV but I do know that ATIs
> drivers ARE
>> WDM (and not the now ancient Video for Windows standard) AND the
> "crummy VCR
>> format ATI made" (which actually records with my All In Wonders
> better than
>> any other format except avi - and the sound is in sync) can be easily
>
>> converted to mpeg 2 using ATIs library utility which comes with MMC.
>>
>> Paul

I think your missing the big point. HDTV is broadcast as a compressed HDTV
mpeg. Do you honestly think that a HDTV card would convert that to
uncompressed HDTV and then offer this up to be recompressed by a CPU codec?
It won't, it will just dump the broadcast compressed HDTV mpeg to disk for
you. There is no need for capture or compression. The advantage of this is
that the stored MPEG is every bit as good as the broadcast MPEG, meaning
"recordings" look every bit as as good as the "live" broadcast. The HDTV
software supplied will have a "record" function. Just look in that softwares
"record" directory and you should find lot's on nice HDTV compressed MPEGS
which you can use in other software. Of course to archive you really need a
HDDVD recorder otherwise you going to have to transcode down to DVD quality.
Non-real time twin pass transcoding will produce a much better result that
trying to "capture" HDTV in a DVD quality MPEG, although I doubt you
hardware supports that anyway for the reasons given before.

Dude, I know how HDTV and digital television works. In fact I bought
HDTV software with the intention that the software would directly rip
out the native HDTV MPEG transport stream signal (as opposed to analog
TV, which I have to capture to some format like AVI with HuffYUV). It
just makes the work that much easier. Anyway, I got that software
upgrade and it was a big help. Although it seems the VCR format has
disappeared from the HDTV Wonder software, but that's ok. Now the tough
part is just editing out the commercials and having enough space to
resave copies.

> Dude, I know how HDTV and digital television works. In fact I bought
> HDTV software with the intention that the software would directly rip
> out the native HDTV MPEG transport stream signal (as opposed to analog
> TV, which I have to capture to some format like AVI with HuffYUV). It
> just makes the work that much easier. Anyway, I got that software
> upgrade and it was a big help. Although it seems the VCR format has
> disappeared from the HDTV Wonder software, but that's ok. Now the tough
> part is just editing out the commercials and having enough space to
> resave copies.

You might look out for VideoReDo. The guy producing it has spent a lot of
effort producing an editor that will "fix" problems with broadcast MPEGs
e.g. resynching audio when drop outs occur.