[SOLVED] Alternatives to Microsoft Word and Excel

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
I am building a new system (W10), and before I reload my dated copy of Word and Excel, are there any alternatives? I don't use them as much as I had, but every so often they are handy to have. Saying that, they are large and have some security issues.

thanks.

Solution
Play with gsuite, if you don't like it then try one of the installable ones, libre or free, or if you think google is being evil, then go straight to libre or free.
look and feel is ok, a few nice new toys in sheets, you can open and save as a version that word and excel can open (but formatting can be odd). My last client went through a switch from excel to Gsuite whilst I was there, it was OK, it worked, some nice elements. my current client calls it a toy though.

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Hmmm, "a toy." Quite a few years ago I used Excel quite extensively, but now I use it mostly for very basic stuff. Again, I could reinstall them both, but it sounds like they may fit my current needs....clearly not business and not all that often....I suppose if Gsuite doesn't quite work for me I could always reinstall Word/Excel.....

There's also Apache OpenOffice, which is open source office applications, their Writer is equivalent to Word and Calc is equivalent to Excel. I have not used these so I don't know how they compare to Microsoft's options, I just knew about their existence, that's all, so I can't say if they're good enough or comment about their looks/feel, sorry.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
GSuite is great in theory, but it's a web app. Open Office works fine for most people, but really as long as you have Office 2013 and up you're fine for a while, even Office 2010 has support until October of next year.

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for the replies and options. The Office I have is 2010, so I will have to migrate to something else eventually.

Geez, almost too many choices. Perhaps you folks can help boil it down so to speak. As I noted earlier, I rarely use either anymore, and when I do its mostly very elementary functionality. Given this, which application (whether on line or local) would you recommend?

Wolfshadw

Titan
I've used Office 97 through Office 2010. Then I switched over to Apache Open Office for a few years until it started to get too bloated. I've been using Libre Office for the past few years and haven't missed any functionality from MS Office.

Google IS evil, so I'd recommend LibreOffice :LOL:

-Wolf sends