[SOLVED] Alternatives to Realtek audio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cullenmccormick

Reputable
Jan 31, 2018
So I have had weird interactions with my Realtek audio drivers and Discord where opening Discord cuts all sound from all programs and plugged in devices to where I essentially can't use Discord with the Realtek drivers. I've had this problem since I built my computer about 9 months ago and finally figured out today that it was the Realtek drivers when I uninstalled them and had no problems.

My question is are there any other good audio drivers available besides Realtek? I don't know too much about computers to know which drivers would work best. I honestly don't even know the impact that the Realtek drivers had as I can still hear and speak without them (do they improve sound quality?).

Here are my specs just in case they're needed. I know that some drivers are not compatible with certain MOBOs:

CPU | [Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor]

CPU Cooler | [NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler]

Motherboard | [Gigabyte - Z370
AORUS Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard]

Memory | [G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory]

Storage | [Crucial - MX300 525GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive]

Storage | [Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive]

Video Card | [EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 GAMING iCX Video Card]

Case | [NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case]

Power Supply | [SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply]

Operating System | [Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit]

Case Fan | [NZXT - Aer RGB140 (3-pack) 71.6 CFM 140mm Fans]

Monitor | [Acer - XB271HU bmiprz 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor]

Keyboard | [Corsair - STRAFE RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard]

Solution
realtek is actually the type of audio chip on your motherboard. you have to use realtek drivers for it to work. have you tried the newest drivers from them or from the gigabyte site?

here's newest from GB site
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-Gaming-5-rev-10#support-dl-driver

i have not seen anything about realtek drivers messing with discord so i am assuming it is not really the driver but something wrong with discord set-up or other config problem.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
realtek is actually the type of audio chip on your motherboard. you have to use realtek drivers for it to work. have you tried the newest drivers from them or from the gigabyte site?

here's newest from GB site
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-Gaming-5-rev-10#support-dl-driver

i have not seen anything about realtek drivers messing with discord so i am assuming it is not really the driver but something wrong with discord set-up or other config problem.

Solution

cullenmccormick

Reputable
Jan 31, 2018

I use the Realtek audio drivers and they are all updated, but I've had this problems since I built my computer. The Discord problem also has gone away when I uninstalled my Realtek drivers and when I unplug my headset, so I thought it was the drivers that were causing the issue but I'm not positive what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.