Alternatives to the Hyper 212+/Evo for budget cooling

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mdocod

Distinguished
I suspect the reason that the market for nice quality alternatives to the 212EVO is so dry is directly related to the fact that the 212EVO has, for some reason, become the "lazy standard" that everyone just puts in every build no matter what.

mdocod

Distinguished
The AIO stuff is such a scam/novelty. Decibel for decibel and dollar for dollar it provides absolutely no cooling advantage until we get to 280-360mm rads and up, in fact, worse in some cases. Perhaps the biggest farce of the whole ordeal is that somehow along the way, liquid heatpipe coolers have been re-categorized as "air" coolers, implying that they are just metal-to-air systems, which they are not. The result is a vast consumer movement towards pumped liquid cooling solutions that have a laundry list of disadvantages.

McDuncun

Honorable
Dude just go with the closed loop mid range water block... I really do think you`ll be happy with it. I went with the flashy air cooler and I still wish I got the water-cooling. The high rise air cooling looks cool but only the very hend ones really like to be overclocked...

Adversus

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014

Do you even read bro?
this is a list with alternatives to Hyper 212 EVO, he didn't ask what cooler he should buy.

What do you guys think about the Seidon 120V? Sometimes it's on sale for $30 or less after rebates. I detest AIOs, but sometimes they can be useful especially if you just don't have a lot of room.

Adversus

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014

Temps at full load seem to be only 2 degrees higher. Biggest difference being the seidon producing no sound which you can hear.

Im not sure about cheap liquid coolers though

McDuncun

Honorable

I did give him and alternative from my perspective. A water block is also an alternative to the Hyper 212 poes!
But if your going to cry about it...

The CoolerMaster V4 GTS is also good!

Adversus

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014

Can't find prices of V4 GTS. Only found 1 from ipmarket for 60USD and on ebay for 110USD.
Doesn't fit this list.

Got any links where its priced 25-30 USD?

McDuncun

Honorable

No, it`s not the cheapest cooler ever... I`d still rather get it instead...

Adversus

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014

I guess you still didn't read the OP's post, i recommend you do

McDuncun

Honorable

Hahaha still crying I see... guess your allergic to any form of deviation or personal opinion for that matter...

McDuncun

Honorable

Hahahahaha gotta keep that shit cool!

spladam

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011

Yeah, we're limited in our cooling solutions there. Don't want to put fans anywhere near it as well. Try boxers.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

212's are good. I have two in my parts bin. Two drawbacks imho. The mounting hardware is lousy. Why couldn't they figure out a way to use the stock AMD back plate like most other manufacturers? The flat side of the notched mounting screws for lack of a better name will very easily turn like its not supposed to do. Lastly it doesn't have the legs to cool an eight core Vishera very well.

Justkeeplookin

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
Hey guys do you think it's impossible to find an air cooler thats better than a liquid cooler? Well it's possible watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMl7iEzpzsA

In this video they are cooling a i7 4770k with these 3 different but similar priced coolers. Noctua NH-D15, Corsair H105, Hyper 212 EVO in NZXT H440.

The Hyper 212 EVO is the noisest out the 3.

You would be surprised Noctua NH-D15 is the best out of the 3 see the video your self

Status
Not open for further replies.