[SOLVED] Alternatives to the Raspberry Pi ?

Apr 19, 2022
Anyone know any good x86 SBC alternatives to the RPI? I'm mainly gonna use it for tinkering and testing some of my own software with Linux but don't wanna have to deal with ARM, as that means I will have to recompile some of my code. I would highly prefer if it has a GPIO pin header with proper mapping documentation. It would also be nice if it had ethernet, as Wi-Fi is very unstable for me...

Budget is USD 150, preferably below 100 though.

Edit: Fixed spelling mistake and edited budget

Solution
Depends on your use, if you need wireless connectivity out-of-the-box, I would recommend the LattePanda
Otherwise, the Rock Pi X with 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage is cheaper than the similarly specced LattePanda, but seems to be on-par, performance-wise

kanewolf

Titan
Anyone know any good x86 SBC alternatives to the RPI? I'm mainly gonna use it for tinkering and testing some of my own software with Linux but don't wanna have to deal with ARM, as that means I will have to recompile some of my code. I would highly prefer if it has a GPIO pin header with proper mapping documentation. It would also be nice if it had ethernet, as Wi-Fi is very unstable for me...

Budget is USD 150, preferably below 100 though.

Edit: Fixed spelling mistake and edited budget
Here is an article with a few X86 options -- https://fossbytes.com/best-raspberry-pi-alternatives-x86-arm/

kanewolf

Titan
Ok... so I'v narrowed down my choices to the Lattepanda(the version w/o Win10 license) - from the user above, and the Rock PI X, could you provide me with a bit of compare-and -contrast analysis of the two of them? And could you maybe tell me if you've had any personal experiences with these SBCs? Thanks!
The Rock PI X Model B -- 4GB RAM would be my pick. It has gigabit ethernet.

MishterKirby

Commendable
Mar 4, 2021
Depends on your use, if you need wireless connectivity out-of-the-box, I would recommend the LattePanda
Otherwise, the Rock Pi X with 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage is cheaper than the similarly specced LattePanda, but seems to be on-par, performance-wise

Solution