Question Alternatives to undervolting/downgrading my laptop's BIOS ?

kristalshards

Prominent
Nov 6, 2019
Hi, so I have an Asus TUF FX504GM that's been undervolted until recently and it was all good, temps below 80 degrees in both CPU and GPU. This laptop has a terrible cooling system so the undervolt helped me tremendously to avoid thermal throttling.

But guess what, with the new BIOS updates, Intel has removed the capabilities of undervolting specific CPUs, and mine is among those. To be more exact, I have an Intel i7-8750H. So now that undervolting is not a possibility anymore, temps jump easily over 80 degrees, that despite having applied new thermal paste last week.
And of course, the inevitable happens, the laptop goes into thermal throttling at about 84-85 degrees I suspect and the performance drops drastically because the CPU clocks drop to about 2.35-2.40GHz (base is 2.20GHz).

I am wondering if there's an alternative to undervolting or if I can downgrade my BIOS to a prior version that allowed undervolt ? I don't care what security issues Intel has fixed, I just need this laptop to be capable of producing good gaming results. Thing is Asus has removed all the older BIOS versions from their website, so I can't find any older version unfortunately.

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
I don't know the answer to your specific question, but you can try making the CPU-heavy programs on Low Priority in the Task Manager, and also by using an external laptop cooler when playing games.
Also, use the Battery Saver performance mode to use less resources. Although I know these solutions aren't great for games, I'm hoping it'll keep your laptop alive until you have a better solution.