Altiport at Courchevel

There have been a number of posts about the short runway way up in the
French Alps. I managed to ski from the Altiport at Courchevel to the
Altiport at Meribel. I have put some photos of the Courchevel runway with
various aircraft and helicopters landing here:

http://photobucket.com/albums/y103/keithbutcher/?action=view&current=DSCF0019.jpg

There wasn't any activity at Meribel and not such a good position to
photograph from.

The runway isn't foreshortened, no massive telephoto lens, just a standard
pocket sized digital camera.
I'm standing on a ridge about 100' higher than the end of the runway. And
probably about 100' from the end!

Tim

Keith Butcher wrote:
> There have been a number of posts about the short runway way up in the
> French Alps. I managed to ski from the Altiport at Courchevel to the
> Altiport at Meribel. I have put some photos of the Courchevel runway
> with various aircraft and helicopters landing here:
>
> http://photobucket.com/albums/y103/keithbutcher/?action=view&current=DSCF0019.jpg
>
> There wasn't any activity at Meribel and not such a good position to
> photograph from.
>
> The runway isn't foreshortened, no massive telephoto lens, just a
> standard pocket sized digital camera.
> I'm standing on a ridge about 100' higher than the end of the runway.
> And probably about 100' from the end!

It is quite impressive isn't it?!

I am well acquainted with the run you took your photos from, as I was in La
Tania at the beginning of March and skied past the Courchevel altiport
pretty much daily. I managed to get a bit of video from the run that skirts
round under the threshold, with an a/c coming into land (twin prop of some
desc) and also with a Cessna taking off. I think I even have a bit of the
Cessna taking off from the run above (i.e. where you were). Sadly, I didn't
witness any large a/c coming or going - I believe that the altiport is
visited by a Dash 7 from time to time.

I just wish I could get the altiports to work properly in FS9; I tried to
install as per the info given on the NG a month or so ago (directed to a
French website), but I can't seem to get them to work. Courchevel always
ends up in a ravine...

Tim

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 22:18:24 GMT, "Tim" <void@invalidemail.com> wrote:

>I am well acquainted with the run you took your photos from, as I was in La
>Tania at the beginning of March and skied past the Courchevel altiport
>pretty much daily.

Hi Tiim

The last time I was on a real plane was 01/05/1994 - the day Senna
died, FWIW. I was on my way back to Gatwick from Geneva, having spent
a few months in Courchevel/Meribel & Val/Tignes.

Abbey National made a slight error and gave me about £6000 :))) I
spent an awful lot of that cash on snowmobiling :))))

James

Tim wrote:
Tim,
The otherwise excellant Bravomike Courchevel Alitport scenery will
not work with terrain mesh set at 38 meter resolution. Go back and
change your fs9.cfg file to the default setting

[TERRAIN]
TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19

This will get the runway to work
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/paneva/la_page_du_paneva2.html

Cheers,
Bruce Freeburger

> I just wish I could get the altiports to work properly in FS9; I tried to
> install as per the info given on the NG a month or so ago (directed to a
> French website), but I can't seem to get them to work. Courchevel always
> ends up in a ravine...
>
> Tim

Tim

Bruce Freeburger wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> Tim,
> The otherwise excellant Bravomike Courchevel Alitport scenery will
> not work with terrain mesh set at 38 meter resolution. Go back and
> change your fs9.cfg file to the default setting
>
> [TERRAIN]
> TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19
>
> This will get the runway to work
> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/paneva/la_page_du_paneva2.html
>
> Cheers,
> Bruce Freeburger

Bruce,

Thanks, I might give it a go, though I'm curious to know what the downside
of this is? Presumably my meshes won't look as good?

Tim