Question Aluminum plus in a fluid loop

Oct 2, 2019
First off, I did not build this. Second off, I am about as much of a newb as you can be to liquid cooling. I got a computer and the waterblocks in it were supposed to be all alluminum, but I think the builder had an issue and replaced one block with a new one from the shelf either not thinking, or not realizing there would be an issue. So, is it really an issue if aluminum is in a loop with lets say, nickel plated copper??? If so, the radiator is aluminum, the CPU block is too. The video card block weighs too much to be aluminum. Can I just replace the aluminum parts and keep the video card block... or do I have to scrap it all and redo the loop?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Yeah, it is a big issue, but most of it depends on what coolant is being used. Ideally, aluminum wouldn't be in a loop with any of the following: nickel, copper, brass, silver or gold.

Do you have any idea of what is in the loop? Is it EK aluminum? What brand is the GPU block?

EK makes aluminum GPU blocks if you want to keep the entire loop aluminum, but this depends on specific card and whether the block fits it...GPU blocks are specific to the brands and actual models they support. Swapping GPU block would be the simplest.

Otherwise...

Replace radiator(s), CPU block and fittings with brass, copper, nickel, etc.

Just be aware that aluminum kits will nearly always include aluminium fittings, and those have to be swapped also (if going the blocks/rad/fitting) route.

Oct 2, 2019
Do you have any idea of what is in the loop? Is it EK aluminum? What brand is the GPU block?

EK makes aluminum GPU blocks if you want to keep the entire loop aluminum, but this depends on specific card and whether the block fits it...GPU blocks are specific to the brands and actual models they support. Swapping GPU block would be the simplest.

Otherwise...

Replace radiator(s), CPU block and fittings with brass, copper, nickel, etc.

Just be aware that aluminum kits will nearly always include aluminium fittings, and those have to be swapped also (if going the blocks/rad/fitting) route.
All of the watercooling parts are EK. Do you think its safe to just swap the GPU block? The radiator hangs over all of the electronics. I dont know enough to know if it would be compromised this quickly. They CPU block looks good, if that would give us any indication.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Galvanic corrosion isn't something that occurs quickly, but it isn't always visible in all areas at the same time...this is largely due to how each component is built, their levels of metals and alloys, etc.

If you are certain all components are aluminum, you could change out the GPU block, but I would make absolutely certain you are making the correct exchange of parts and are not introducing something incorrectly into the loop that shouldn't be there.

Once you are certain, the next step is to drain the loop, disconnect the GPU, replace the block, reconnect tubing (replacing if you need to). Prime the loop with fresh coolant, fill it and make sure you don't have any leaks.