Always Administrator Professional 64 Bit Sp1 Help

Jul 16, 2018
Trying to figure out how to make my computer stop auto-running everything as administrator without reinstalling Windows the two problems this is causing me is

1. 3DMark requires you install it as a regular user so I cannot install it, because it would seem to auto-run as administrator.

2. Some processes won't allow me to end them even though task manager pre-runs as administrator privilege.

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
You really don't provide much information. I am assuming your are an administrator already. However, in Windows 10 and sometimes in Windows 7 you need to right click (possibly shift + right click) and select "run as administrator" even though your are already a member of the administrators group.

Jul 16, 2018
Sorry, let me explain better - I only have the one required user account that is by default - administrator.

I have tried making a new account regular user, and second administrator account, which yields the same results.

The issue is not that i'm trying to run things as administrator the issue is that it would seem to automatically run EVERYTHING as administrator by default, which has caused the two issues stated in OP.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
So when you made a second, non administrator account and logged into that account, it would still run everything as administrator?

You could try using the command line "runas" command to force something to run as the non admin user.

Jul 16, 2018

No, it would not but then I get message "access is denied" when trying to install on a standard account.

Also it never EVER pops up a message asking to "Continue or Cancel" like it usually does strange I am sure the easiest way to fix is probably to reinstall Windows completely but i'm hoping there's another fix or maybe I messed something up on accident I didn't really realize it was an issue until after spending a lot of time optimizing for performance

so just runas (filename) and it'll run as normal user ?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I can't remember the exact syntax for runas, should be able to look it up pretty easily though. Yes, you can use that command to run something as the non admin user, but if you were getting access denied messages trying to run stuff from the non admin account you might run into the same issue using the runas command.

Jul 16, 2018

couldn't find any info regarding using runas to run as a regular user only administrator