Always Innovating Touch Book Priced

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMS3096

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Of course it can't handle Windows XP, it's ARM based! Why would anyone choose an insecure, obsolete, 7-year old operating system over a modern, optimised Linux distro anyway?

JMS3096

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Of course it can't run Windows XP! It's ARM-based, which is how it can manage a 15-hour battery life in the first place! But seriously, why would ANYONE choose an insecure, obsolete, power-hungry OS like XP over a modern, optimised Linux distro?

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
oh god yes finally a reason for me to buy a netbook for only 400 bucks and its touch screen. now the question should i buy this or wait for one supporting the ion platform, hope the latter isnt too expensive.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Maybe with ARM processors, and simple OSs like Android, we will actually be able to separate a low-cost internet device from a cheap, underpowered notebook some company just wants to make some extra money off of by calling it a "netbook".

Seriously, so many people complain about netbooks being too small and underpowered, when what they really want is a cheap notebook. Sorry, sometimes you actually have to pay for what you get. For those of us who don't mind the small keyboard and screen because we meant to buy a small computer used only for the internet, this seems like a smart move.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
The real question is, what kind of touch capabilities this thing has. Does it come with a stylus that is pressure sensitive? If I can make sketches in GIMP with a pressure sensitive stylus on this thing I'm sold!

G

absolutely ugly design (the two sticks under the screen)!
Battery life will most certainly be less

Otherwise yet another EeePc variant!

But I'm happy ARM processors find an entry in these type of machines!
I hope ARM might challenge Intel more in the Atom,and low-powered CPU section.

zhaknafein

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
i think the two sticks are just the hinges for plugging in the keyboard to the touchscreen...they probably hide inside the latter

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]absolutely ugly design (the two sticks under the screen)![/citation]

lol!!! you are hella dum =] those are you show you that the keyboard is detachable. it actualy looks quite beautiful. at least the keyboard does anyways. i wish the sides of the screen were smaller. it looks bulky with all the black around the screen. anyways the bottom keyboard looks like a mac laptop.

G

I still think I'd go with the pandora. It is great fun if you love emulators.
http://openpandora.org/

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
When my bro and I went shopping last year for a computer, we were blown away by the feature-set of the Acer Aspire One. 100+gb hard drive, 1 gb of RAM, a very good webcam, a nice sized keyboard, multiple SD card slots, and the kicker... Windows XP. It ran XP, which means he could install old games, and they would work. He could install Office if he wanted to, and it would work (yes, we know about Star Office, and use it when we can't get MS Office, but it isn't quite the same).

We were sold, and he is very very happy with it. When he upgraded to Windows 7 beta, he was even more happy with it. He gave the Linux version a shot, but just didn't like it.

If it had better battery life, and a writable screen, and sold for under 500 with a Windows OS, I would be all over it. I would ditch my TX2500Z in a heartbeat. But until that happens, my bro is sticking with his x86 based netbook, and I with my x64 based tablet.

ARM without a mainstream OS is little more than a gimmick, much like Apple OS was before they switched over to Intel, which allowed XP/Vista to be installed in a pinch, and made it a viable competitor to other computer manufacturers.

gsfnop

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
I don't know what the "touchbook OS" is all about, but it doesn't matter because they say you can install Ubuntu on it. If it'll run KDE and Ubuntu, that's fine for me. Windows is for games, and you aren't going to be doing serious 3D gaming on a device like this because it doesn't have enough power to do it.

For anything else, these days it just doesn't matter much what CPU you have. Almost nothing is written in assembly any more, it's all C, C++ or some scripted language and totally portable. You only have to point to the right repositories for your CPU, and away you go. The days of the CPU architecture mattering to the end user ended back in the 1990s. Anyway ARM is lower power than x86 and it is the future of netbooks.

If I can get 10-15 hrs of battery life from this thing, I'm there. I only wish it had a higher res screen :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.