Always printing pages twice

motechman

Honorable
May 30, 2013
I have a Vista OS that recently started to print EVERYTHING no matter the source, twice. Print a test page and it comes out twice. I ran combofix.exe to find any rootkits and malware. System seems fine now except anything printed comes out twice. The HW is a Dell Inspiron (500 series I think) w/6GB RAM.

I have never seen this issue before. I know its the computer since all of the Win 7 boxes print to the same HP 1022 network printer without any problems.

This is also a difficult problem to google a solution for, with every search variation I tried coming up with mostly double sided printing issues. In fact I couldn't find anything on this specific symptom.

I verified that the \Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS folder only has two files in it when printing a test page. I'm working from memory now but I believe both files have an extension that starts with S, and one of them is .SHD.

motechman

Honorable
May 30, 2013

Thanks, but I've checked all the dialogs, preferences, options in the UI. Shame it isn't that simple.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
There is a spooling delay prior to printing, sometimes we think that we haven't clicked the PRINT button hard enough so we tend to click it again when the printing does not begin as expected. :)

If you check the task print manager, it will list the print jobs to be done so if you only have one print job there should be only one listed as either "pending" or "Printing..."

Darkanee

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015
I had the same issue of printer printing everything twice with a Canon MX340. In case someone is still looking for a possible fix, try uninstalling your printer from your computer and then reinstalling it. You need drivers OR an internet access for this. Most recent OS will grab the drivers automatically. Do not reset the printer, for me that was not necessary.

For those who need more advice:
Go to Devices and Printers menu > delete your printer. Then hook your computer via USB to the printer and let it install its drivers. After this, you should be able to see your printer again under Devices and Printers. That's all! If the printer was configured to work over wifi then it still is, provided you did not reset it, and you can optionally remove the USB cable.