[SOLVED] Am forced to migrate from W8.1 to 10, what's the most painless way?

cloudropis_1

Honorable
Dec 16, 2016
I just bought a RX 580 to upgrade from my GTX 960, just found out the drivers don't support Windows 8.1, I'm now forced to upgrade to W10. Have a few questions about how it's handled though.
- First off, I just don't have the strength to do a clean install. I have too much stuff that I can't backup (I don't have any external storage available, my upload speed is complete crap so I can't save big stuff on cloud services). I also care a lot about all my data, but there are a lot of dependencies between file paths, thanks to emulators, modding tools, various kinds of user settings etc. If I migrate to 10, do I risk it all blows up because the PC just decides to stuff everything in a old.windows folder? Is there a way to have, after migration, everything in the same location it is now? Or will all dependencies between file paths broken?
- I have an SSD with around 30GB free, this is where my current OS is installed. Do I need more to migrate?
- Will the new OS have problems detecting my SSD and my HDD for whatever reason?

EDIT: I want to further explain what I mean by dependencies between filepaths.
C: is my SSD. Only the OS, utility software and stuff laying around in Downloads is there, plus the stuff in Documents which is pretty important (like some save files)
D: is my HDD. All my personal data is here, emulators, games, personal stuff, a lot of stuff that must be left untouched
Dependencies between two programs, both in C: = not an issue because, again, I don't keep anything in there
Between a program in C: to a program in D: = once again, I don't really have software installed in C:.
Between a program in D: to a program in C: = that's what worries me, for example a lot of games have their save data in Documents, many emulators refer to general settings and save files in Documents as well. If I do an upgrade, NOT a clean install, that stuff should be kept the same filepath I left it at, right? In worst case scenario, I can just make a full backup of Documents and paste it back there. In this case, if a game on D: says "refer to C:/user/documents/gamename for the save file", it should work all right?
Between two programs both in D: = The hdd should be left untouched anyway, so no issue there.
Did I get this right?

Solution
An inplace upgrade "should" work. It will keep everything as is, just a different OS.
As with any major upgrade, hardware or software, there is a possibility of fail.

Create a full backup before you do this, and do it with only the C drive connected.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I didn't read your whole thing, but will if necessary. You should be able to use Win 8.1 drivers if available fine. Win 10 drivers should work too. What's the problem? Which RX 580 do you have?

Btw, you can still do a free upgrade from 8.1 to 10 by downloading the MS Tool and following the directions. It willkeep everything you have now and simply leave you with W10 instead of W8.1. And it will install a WindowsOld folder on your PC that remains for 30 days in case you want to revert back to the old OS.

Edit: Just noticed AMD has discontinued all their W8.x drivers. ??

USAFRet

Titan
An inplace upgrade "should" work. It will keep everything as is, just a different OS.
As with any major upgrade, hardware or software, there is a possibility of fail.

Create a full backup before you do this, and do it with only the C drive connected.

Solution

cloudropis_1

Honorable
Dec 16, 2016

Are you sure about disconnecting the D: drive? It's not like it's gonna overwrite it by itself without asking me, and I'm afraid it may break stuff like shortcuts and the likes.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, disconnect all other drives.
This prevents any mistakes in this process. Assuming the inplace upgrade goes well, it should not affect any path environment settings that currently exist.

Key words "should not". This is why you also have a full backup of the C drive in its current condition, before you do this.
Just in case.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I've been updating quite a few W7 machines w/o disconnecting any other drives. No issues pertaining to where the boot sector is written have arisen, but the Mod's recommendations are probably the safest way to do it.

Now when it comes to a clean install, that's different. I always disconnect the other drives.

I just bought a RX 580 to upgrade from my GTX 960, just found out the drivers don't support Windows 8.1, I'm now forced to upgrade to W10. Have a few questions about how it's handled though.
- First off, I just don't have the strength to do a clean install. I have too much stuff that I can't backup (I don't have any external storage available, my upload speed is complete crap so I can't save big stuff on cloud services). I also care a lot about all my data, but there are a lot of dependencies between file paths, thanks to emulators, modding tools, various kinds of user settings etc. If I migrate to 10, do I risk it all blows up because the PC just decides to stuff everything in a old.windows folder? Is there a way to have, after migration, everything in the same location it is now? Or will all dependencies between file paths broken?

Before you do any upgrade, etc.. if if you really care about your data, get a backup drive. Any drive can fail at any time, without a backup you are walking on a tightrope without a net. When you are falling it will be too late to wish you had a net. Half the posts to the storage forums are "my drive died, how do I get my important data back". With backups there are no issues with getting data back.