Question Am I able to run the AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 1, 2023
I am attempting to upgrade my Graphics Card from an nvidia 2070 to the AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT.
I am running into an issue. The new card is installed, the Drivers are installed, and the bios are updated. The issue that I am having is that when I attempt to play a game, for example, the system shuts off completely. The only way I can start the system back up, is to unplug it, then plug it back in and press the power button. I am unsure what could be causing this issue. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
BaseBoard Product ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
850 W Power supply
AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Corsair hx 850i

It's good quality unit, but it still doesn't excuse it, because there are lemons, even among the best.

Since the power draw did increase within your system, and quite a lot, only way to test it, is with good quality 1kW unit. Since what is currently most likely happening, is that GPU transient power spikes are too much for HXi, hence why system shuts down. Over provisioning with wattage is only fix for that, hence why i suggest looking towards 1kW unit.

What are GPU transient power spikes? A video to watch:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRyyCsuHFQ

While calculating, we can get;
335W GPU + transient power spikes, which double (or triple) the GPU power draw = ~700W from GPU. While the rest of your system is ~200W and all that together, is ~900W, whereby your 850W unit is too little for it.

So, look towards Seasonic Focus/PRIME or Corsair RM/RMx/RMi/HX/HXi/AX/AXi in 1000W range (1 KW). Or even 1.2 kW unit of you want to be absolutely safe.

Jan 1, 2023
Oh wow. I was using that PC Part Picker, and it didnt come up with any red flags at the time. Good to know though. Definitely gonna be coming here for any questions haha
This new GPU is pretty much double the old one. Well, I appreciate the assistance. I will look into the power source issue then. Thank you so much, if I have anymore questions, I will bring them up!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Oh wow. I was using that PC Part Picker, and it didnt come up with any red flags at the time.

Thing is, older GPUs, up to GTX 16-series and RX 500-series, didn't have those transient power spike issues. Thus, what PSU was suggested for them, were fine. Only the latest GPUs, RTX series and RX 5000-series and newer, which draw far more power, started to have those transient power spike issues (which Steve also demonstrated for us so nicely). Hence why with latest GPUs, we need to over provision with wattage, just to cope with that.

With this, and sadly, the days of old, where 650W PSU was enough to any single GPU build, are over. Now, we are looking towards 1000W (1kW) PSUs, just to power single GPU. And with RTX 4090, 1600W PSU (1.6kW) is suggested.

Jan 1, 2023
Yeah thats good to know. I think Im gonna give the 1000w a shot, if that is still a little low, I shall go from there. Definitely a big difference in consumption of power with the newer GPU's

Reactions: Aeacus
Status
Not open for further replies.