Question Am I able to take an i7 CPU out of a used PC thats for for sale and reuse it?

Sep 20, 2019
Are CPUs able to be transferred to a new setup, is it going to affect the performance as opposed to buying a new one?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Are CPUs able to be transferred to a new setup, is it going to affect the performance as opposed to buying a new one?

Yes they sure can be! :) Just make sure it's compatible with the new mobo you want to install it in. If you're not sure, give us the exact CPU (example: i7-7700k or Ryzen 7 2700X) and a resident guru here will be able to steer you in the right direction as to which mobo to buy. Sometimes, you'll get even better performance if you install the CPU into a different mobo. As in it may have better on-board audio or more RAM can be installed.

Reactions: PC Tailor

Wolfshadw

Titan
What you're looking for is a Micro-ATX motherboard for a socket 1155 CPU. It needs to have any of the following Intel chip sets: H61, Z68, B75, H77, Z77. Given the age of these motherboards, you're probably going to want to check used sites.

-Wolf sends