Am I able to upgrade my motherboard and CPU at the same time without any problems?

dillsmith12

Prominent
May 22, 2017
i want to upgrade my motherboard and CPU but i am unsure if that will cause problems. would i take out my motherboard and CPU and just put in my new parts? (Side Note: upgrading my i5 to an i7)

Solution
You're going to need aftermarket cooling. You should make sure you're on the latest BIOS update although Kabylake to Kabylake processor migration won't cause any issues. You should look into DDR4-3200MHz ram kits to take advantage of your new chipset and K suffix processor. I'm assuming you have a reliable PSU at your disposal?

Lutfij

Titan
We are currently on the 8th generation of cor i processor from Intel. There have been a number of chipset revisions as well sockets. Are you referring to the LGA1156 socket? Might want to list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

dillsmith12

Prominent
May 22, 2017

To be more specific, I currently have a intel core i5 7500 (want to upgrade to a intel i7 7700k)
Motherboard: asrock b250 ( want to upgrade to msi z270 m6)
HDD: WB 1 Tb
GPU: GTX 1050 ti
PSU: Corsair 650

Lutfij

Titan
You're going to need aftermarket cooling. You should make sure you're on the latest BIOS update although Kabylake to Kabylake processor migration won't cause any issues. You should look into DDR4-3200MHz ram kits to take advantage of your new chipset and K suffix processor. I'm assuming you have a reliable PSU at your disposal?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS