Am I being blocked from using WiFi?

Munstermadness

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
Hi,

I think my roommate is blocking me from using WiFi, that I also pay for. It says the WiFi signal is at 100%, but won't let me connect to the network. I've noticed this happens a lot when he's going to be gone all day. How can I tell for sure and prevent this from happening?

Thank you.

Solution
on most new routers you can block by mac info of wifi and network cards. also set up on new routers a list of pc that can only use the router. he can also change the password on your router so that you cant log in. some newer routers also have temp or visiting wifi hubs. they can be set for a set amount of time before they expire. dont want to start a fight but look at the router model and log onto it from your pc and look at it settings if you and your room mate have given you permission. if he wants to be on his own wifi and not share for some reson then pick up a switch and a cheap ap or another router. go from the modem to the switch and then run two routers from the switch. he can then set up the other router for just you and other...
select your wireless network, enter your password, and it will let you know if he changed the password on you.

To bypass this there is typically a WPS button on most routers. In Windows 8 right click on your wireless network, select 'forget this network', try to connect again and once it prompts you for the password, press the WPS button on the router to bypass the password requirement. This should let you in unless he has turned on some higher end security to block you out.

When all else fails, turn the router off and back on. You never know, this may be a regular issue and your roommate typically reboots the router before you notice there is a problem. If this fixes the issue, it would be time for a new router.

There are plenty of people in the world. If your roommate is a jerk then it is time to find a new one.

on most new routers you can block by mac info of wifi and network cards. also set up on new routers a list of pc that can only use the router. he can also change the password on your router so that you cant log in. some newer routers also have temp or visiting wifi hubs. they can be set for a set amount of time before they expire. dont want to start a fight but look at the router model and log onto it from your pc and look at it settings if you and your room mate have given you permission. if he wants to be on his own wifi and not share for some reson then pick up a switch and a cheap ap or another router. go from the modem to the switch and then run two routers from the switch. he can then set up the other router for just you and other guest. if not have him pick up a router (small biz that he can set up two wifi ssdi)

Solution