[SOLVED] Am I being cheated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022
Do not spam the forum with your question
Hey, so my PC has been randomly power cycling since the past two months.
I have replaced everything including the PSU, RAM, MOBO, SSD.
PC specs:
i7 8700
Mobo : Gigabyte B365 DS3h
Gskill Ripjaws 3600mhz DDR4 X1
WD black 512 M.2
Seagate 256 SSD
PSU: Coolermaster GX 750 cmstorm 80 plus bronze

I still encountered the same issue. Decided to give it to a computer store. The guy has been running it for a week now after changing the PSU to a 500w and says the issue has been resolved.
When asked what the problem was, he says that the PSU has to be compatible with the rated wattage on the Mobo which is 500W and anything above may cause power fluctuations and lead to power cycling.
I understand that under wattage may cause shutdown but is what he's saying technically sound?
Requesting answers as I'm exhausted trying to resolve this issue and want to get it solved asap.
TIA

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022

PC specs:

i7 8700

WD black 512 M.2

Seagate 256 SSD

I still encountered the same issue. Decided to give it to a computer store. The guy has been running it for a week now after changing the PSU to a 500w and says the issue has been resolved.

When asked what the problem was, he says that the PSU has to be compatible with the rated wattage on the Mobo which is 500W and anything above may cause power fluctuations and lead to power cycling.

I understand that under wattage may cause shutdown but is what he's saying technically sound?

Requesting answers as I'm exhausted trying to resolve this issue and want to get it solved asap.

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022
PC specs:
i7 8700
WD black 512 M.2
Seagate 256 SSD

No. That explanation is BS.

Old PSU may have been causing problems though.
But not because of 750W PSU is too much. That's just nonsense.

What PSU did you get as a replacement?
Did you get to keep the old PSU?

What GPU do you have?

What was the first PSU you had?

If you've had the same issues with 2 PSUs, and all the other replacements you've listed, I can't help but think maybe there's a power delivery issue in/at your house. My brother had very similar issues at his old apartment. I took his system to my house and stress tested it for a couple days straight and never had any issues. Since he's moved, he's had zero crashes using the same hardware.

rswat09

Reputable
Mar 20, 2018
Yep, looks like you're being cheated. There is no such "rated wattage" for a mobo (at least, not that I'm aware of). You likely wouldn't face any issues even with a 1500W PSU lol (although it would probably be a bit larger)

A 500W PSU is a MAJOR downgrade from a 750W PSU (especially if you want to add a dGPU or other stuff in future) Are you letting them take your old PSU and letting them replace it with a weak 500W PSU? They'll probably get your PSU RMAed and keep it (and you'll be left with a 500W PSU).

Would be much better if you got the PSU RMAed directly, instead of downgrading to a 500W PSU.

(logged into my account after 4 years for answering this question)

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
@Samuel hut here at Tom's we understand you are desperate to solve your problem. However you keep spamming our forum between this question and your last ones trying to solve it. This behavior is unacceptable. Ask a question in ONE place and reply to such until the problem is solved. If you keep doing this you won't be posting here anymore.

he says that the PSU has to be compatible with the rated wattage on the Mobo which is 500W and anything above may cause power fluctuations and lead to power cycling...
is what he's saying technically sound?
this is BS.
your system is only going to draw what it needs and as long as the power supply offers that or more with good efficiency then it will have zero negative impact.

the Cooler Master GX Bronze isn't a very nice model but it being 750w vs 500w has nothing to do with any issue you may face because of it.

have you already payed out for the new PSU?
if so, contact the head of this shop and demand a refund.
explain to them that they are either lying to customers or that they have no idea what they are doing and you will be reporting it to the Better Business Bureau.

Reactions: tennis2

artk2219

Distinguished
PC specs:
i7 8700
WD black 512 M.2
Seagate 256 SSD

Yeah that explanation is crap, you could use a 2000 watt psu on there if you wanted, the wattage is just the maximum amount it is rated to supply readily and safely. Now you could have had a bad PSU, and you should ask for your old PSU back if its under warranty so you can RMA it. It could also be bad power at your house as stated by others, you could get a UPS to regulate your power and supply power for a safe shutdown during a power outage.

Last edited:

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022
What GPU do you have?

What was the first PSU you had?

If you've had the same issues with 2 PSUs, and all the other replacements you've listed, I can't help but think maybe there's a power delivery issue in/at your house. My brother had very similar issues at his old apartment. I took his system to my house and stress tested it for a couple days straight and never had any issues. Since he's moved, he's had zero crashes using the same hardware.
Very sure if isn't this as it crashed at other locations too.

artk2219

Distinguished
Very sure if isn't this as it crashed at other locations too.

If you've replaced everything else at this point, it could be a bad CPU, CPU's do go bad, its rare but it does happen. I've had more CPU's go bad or be diagnosed as bad these last few years then I have seen in the previous 10. It wouldnt surprise me if its because they're skipping some checks that they used to do, or its just because they're pumping out more than they ever have and there is just a higher likelihood of having errors because of that. I believe that 8700 should have come with a 3 year warranty if you got it from Intel, your stuck replacing it out of pocket if you got it in an OEM build though. If you're looking for an in socket replacement you can pick up another i7 8700 or i7 9700(f) pretty affordably, just make sure your motherboard supports it and is on the latest BIOS first. You could also pickup an I5 12400 and motherboard for a bit more and get a nice performance uplift. Or if youre ok with losing hyper threading and some performance you can pickup an i5 8400 or 9400 pretty cheaply.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265700039761?epid=24034590085&hash=item3ddcf4dc51:g:l4MAAOSww3ZihweC&LH_BIN=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185317270835?epid=15029958194&hash=item2b25c52533:g:0wEAAOSw~yViG6FS&LH_BIN=1

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...+8700&_osacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_sop=15&LH_PrefLoc=1

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...+8400&_osacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_sop=15&LH_PrefLoc=1

Last edited:
it crashed at other locations too.
what do you mean?
locations as in other shops?

that wouldn't make a difference unless all components were changed out at each location.

are you still experiencing issues after changing out the low quality CM power supply?

you never replied if you allowed the shop to change PSUs or if it was just a recommendation.
and was there a specific make & model they wanted to install?
switching out one crap product for another is not a good solution.

Samuel hut

Great
Mar 22, 2022
what do you mean?
locations as in other shops?

that wouldn't make a difference unless all components were changed out at each location.

are you still experiencing issues after changing out the low quality CM power supply?

you never replied if you allowed the shop to change PSUs or if it was just a recommendation.
and was there a specific make & model they wanted to install?
switching out one crap product for another is not a good solution.
Turns out, he was trying to cheat me. Gave him a piece of my mind and returned the PSU after the PC power cycled even with his PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.