Question Am I being detrimentally bottlenecked

Status
Not open for further replies.

SethG

Prominent
Sep 27, 2019
I run a ryzen 1500x, asrock ab350m pro, 2- 2x8 sets of xpg z1 2666 ddr4(16gb), msi gtx 1070, and a crucial mx 500 1tb m.2 ssd.(no oc on any) I bought most of the parts during the time when ram prices were insane and pc gaming was just more expensive to hop into. I know I am being bottlenecked just don't know the severity of that and if I need to upgrade soon or if I can take my time. And would I be able to play 27 in 1440p 144hz. Sorry for the loaded question, thank you.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I run a ryzen 1500x, asrock ab350m pro, 2- 2x8 sets of xpg z1 2666 ddr4(16gb), msi gtx 1070, and a crucial mx 500 1tb m.2 ssd.(no oc on any) I bought most of the parts during the time when ram prices were insane and pc gaming was just more expensive to hop into. I know I am being bottlenecked just don't know the severity of that and if I need to upgrade soon or if I can take my time. And would I be able to play 27 in 1440p 144hz. Sorry for the loaded question, thank you.

What game are you trying to play? What quality settings do you want? Are you trying to get this game to run a minimum of 144fps at 2560x1440 resolution?

SethG

Prominent
Sep 27, 2019
I'm basic so, valorant, warzone/cod, and sometimes I dabble in games like Jedi fallen order. Yes I'd like to play 144hz at 2560x1440 reliably

SethG

Prominent
Sep 27, 2019
Well, yes...it is a limiting factor.
Otherwise, we'd all be getting 1,000FPS in every game.

The question is...is the current performance satisfactory to you?
Lol that's not my question [mod edit], I just pretty much wanted to know if I could run 1440p at 144hz with my specs. Sorry I didn't just ask that but now we're getting nowhere. But I appreciate your help, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Let's leave the name calling out of it.
Be clearer with your questions if you don't feel like it's being answered.

For what it's worth, you've received the answer to your question. Every system has a 'liming factor' or 'bottleneck' - it's whether it's noticeable in the tasks you perform.

I just pretty much wanted to know if I could run 1440p at 144hz with my specs.

Can you? Sure. Why not? Should you? Depends on the games you play.

SethG

Prominent
Sep 27, 2019
But I also did restate my question, but it seems like somewhere it is getting lost in translation, I asked if I could play games like cod and valorant at 1440p 144hz and king v got that but USAF is thinking to deep about it

On the GPU side of things, you probably can if you tone the graphics down enough. On the CPU side of things I'm not as confident. The only way to tell is basically run the games at the lowest graphical quality and resolution. If you can't hit the target frame rate you want, then the CPU isn't up to snuff.

Reactions: SethG

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
But I also did restate my question, but it seems like somewhere it is getting lost in translation, I asked if I could play games like cod and valorant at 1440p 144hz and king v got that but USAF is thinking to deep about it

There is no 'lost in translation' here.

Neither have replied since you've stated any titles. One has asked for more info, one has answered the question posed.
EDIT
Of course, while posting my reply, one did respond.

Don't get too hung up on 'bottleneck', it's thrown around too often as a blanket statement.
As one variable: At 1440p, the CPU matters less (vs 1080p) or more (vs 4K). Whether any given CPU would be a 'bottleneck' any given GPU (with how 'bottleneck' is understood in it's most basic sense) will vary.

You may not always be able to achieve 144FPS+ in all titles, but with the hardware you have, you can run 1440p, 144Hz. You'll have to lower in-game settings to achieve framerates accordingly, but by how much will vary game to game.

SethG

Prominent
Sep 27, 2019
DO NOT insult people trying to help you.
I don't have a 1440p 144hz 1ms monitor, that's why I am asking, I am planning to get a new monitor and I was wondering if my specs would run the monitor before I bought one or if I should just upgrade my pc instead. Thank for your help -------.

<MOD EDIT INSULT REMOVED>

Last edited by a moderator:

SethG

Prominent
Sep 27, 2019
There is no 'lost in translation' here.

Neither have replied since you've stated any titles. One has asked for more info, one has answered the question posed.
EDIT
Of course, while posting my reply, one did respond.

Don't get too hung up on 'bottleneck', it's thrown around too often as a blanket statement.
As one variable: At 1440p, the CPU matters less (vs 1080p) or more (vs 4K). Whether any given CPU would be a 'bottleneck' any given GPU (with how 'bottleneck' is understood in it's most basic sense) will vary.

You may not always be able to achieve 144FPS+ in all titles, but with the hardware you have, you can run 1440p, 144Hz. You'll have to lower in-game settings to achieve framerates accordingly, but by how much will vary game to game.
What you and USAF are saying are just "blanket statements" thanks but no thanks?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What you and USAF are saying are just "blanket statements" thanks but no thanks?

Based on the question posed, I think I answered pretty definitively.
Can you? Sure.

Of course, it's not always that simple. Hence:
Should you? Depends on the games you play.

What I'm saying is, from there, look into benchmarks for the specific games you play - see what's achievable.
I'll assist with Warzone.
17134007833l.jpg

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews...c_performance_review_and_optimisation_guide/7

Status
Not open for further replies.