Am I cooking my CPU?

About a month ago I upgraded my system to an Athlon XP 3000. Starting
last week I started getting sudden system shutdowns while running my
video conversion stuff. I usually will batch a bunch and then go to
bed so my CPU is at 100% for several hours at a time. The max I've
seen the CPU temp is about 54-55 celsius while the CPU is at 100%. I
didn't think that was extreme. I've tried different apps too and had
my system go down with both. My machine was rock stable before this
and it seems like a hardware glitch to me. The CPU is still on
warranty so I can try another one, but if I'm cooking it then I wanna
know before I replace it. What do you think?

--
Scott Streeter
ss@wpi.edu

Scott Streeter wrote:

> About a month ago I upgraded my system to an Athlon XP 3000. Starting
> last week I started getting sudden system shutdowns while running my
> video conversion stuff. I usually will batch a bunch and then go to
> bed so my CPU is at 100% for several hours at a time. The max I've
> seen the CPU temp is about 54-55 celsius while the CPU is at 100%. I
> didn't think that was extreme. I've tried different apps too and had
> my system go down with both. My machine was rock stable before this
> and it seems like a hardware glitch to me. The CPU is still on
> warranty so I can try another one, but if I'm cooking it then I wanna
> know before I replace it. What do you think?

This may sound silly but is the video conversion 'stuff' set to turn it off
when finished?

And have you checked the system logs to see what errors it captured and the
reason for the shutdown?

On 08 Jul 2004 19:41:55 -0400, Scott Streeter <ss@ccc2.wpi.edu>
wrote:

>About a month ago I upgraded my system to an Athlon XP 3000. Starting
>last week I started getting sudden system shutdowns while running my
>video conversion stuff.

To clarify, shutdown means that the system turns, completely,
OFF? If not, exactly what does it do?
Some hardware monitors (MBM, Motherboard Monitor ) have a logging
function which might be telling if it were enabled while these
jobs ran.

>I usually will batch a bunch and then go to
>bed so my CPU is at 100% for several hours at a time. The max I've
>seen the CPU temp is about 54-55 celsius while the CPU is at 100%.

That's not bad for full load on an XP3000, but is it overclocked,
and/or overvolted?

>didn't think that was extreme. I've tried different apps too and had
>my system go down with both.

Use aforementioned MBM or other hardware monitor to track temp
and voltage, note where these readings are when problem occurs.
If you're running WinXP and system only reboots, disable XP's
"reboot on error" setting (Google search will find details).

>My machine was rock stable before this

"Before this" means you previously ran apps at full load for
extended periods of time or are these the first sessions when
it's beeing at full load? Is your ambient room temp higher now
than in the past?

Maybe a silly quesiton but, have you confirmed that the CPU &
power supply fans are working?

Is there anything else about the system that's changed just prior
to onset of this problem?

>and it seems like a hardware glitch to me. The CPU is still on
>warranty so I can try another one, but if I'm cooking it then I wanna
>know before I replace it. What do you think?

How long has the system been built/running?

If everything else looks OK you might remove heatsink, clean
base, and apply fresh thin coat of thermal compound prior to
returning parts or buying anything else.

Are you running a very early motherboard bios version or at least
a few versions later [hint] ?

kony <spam@spam.com> writes:

> On 08 Jul 2004 19:41:55 -0400, Scott Streeter <ss@ccc2.wpi.edu>
> wrote:
>

> >About a month ago I upgraded my system to an Athlon XP 3000. Starting
> >last week I started getting sudden system shutdowns while running my
> >video conversion stuff.
>
> To clarify, shutdown means that the system turns, completely,
> OFF? If not, exactly what does it do?
> Some hardware monitors (MBM, Motherboard Monitor ) have a logging
> function which might be telling if it were enabled while these
> jobs ran.

Shutdown as in Off, like the plug was pulled on the system. You can
image how annoying that can get :p

> >I usually will batch a bunch and then go to
> >bed so my CPU is at 100% for several hours at a time. The max I've
> >seen the CPU temp is about 54-55 celsius while the CPU is at 100%.
>
> That's not bad for full load on an XP3000, but is it overclocked,
> and/or overvolted?

No overclocking.

> >didn't think that was extreme. I've tried different apps too and had
> >my system go down with both.
>
> Use aforementioned MBM or other hardware monitor to track temp
> and voltage, note where these readings are when problem occurs.
> If you're running WinXP and system only reboots, disable XP's
> "reboot on error" setting (Google search will find details).

It's a Soyo KT-400 Dragon Ultra. The HW monitor showed 55C when it
died. I didn't notice the voltage before it went down.

> >My machine was rock stable before this
>
> "Before this" means you previously ran apps at full load for
> extended periods of time or are these the first sessions when
> it's beeing at full load? Is your ambient room temp higher now
> than in the past?

Before the new CPU. I had an 1800+ previously.

> Maybe a silly quesiton but, have you confirmed that the CPU &
> power supply fans are working?

First thing I did :)

> Is there anything else about the system that's changed just prior
> to onset of this problem?

Not really. Installed City of Heros but I doubt that's it.

> >and it seems like a hardware glitch to me. The CPU is still on
> >warranty so I can try another one, but if I'm cooking it then I wanna
> >know before I replace it. What do you think?
>
> How long has the system been built/running?

Years. I've never bought a premade system.

> If everything else looks OK you might remove heatsink, clean
> base, and apply fresh thin coat of thermal compound prior to
> returning parts or buying anything else.
>
> Are you running a very early motherboard bios version or at least
> a few versions later [hint] ?

I flashed to the latest BIOS revision before I installed the 3000+

--
Scott Streeter
ss@wpi.edu

On 08 Jul 2004 20:09:58 -0400, Scott Streeter <ss@ccc2.wpi.edu>
wrote:

>> To clarify, shutdown means that the system turns, completely,
>> OFF? If not, exactly what does it do?
>> Some hardware monitors (MBM, Motherboard Monitor ) have a logging
>> function which might be telling if it were enabled while these
>> jobs ran.
>
>Shutdown as in Off, like the plug was pulled on the system. You can
>image how annoying that can get :p

Check bios setup for a CPU overheat-shutdown temp.
Check power supply for undervoltage (use multimeter if
available).

Check motherboard for failed capacitors.

Is this a generic power supply? What make/model? Is it of known
adequate amperage? Is it old?

>It's a Soyo KT-400 Dragon Ultra. The HW monitor showed 55C when it
>died. I didn't notice the voltage before it went down.

55C would not cause system to turn off due to CPU overheat, but
if bios or windows utility was set to do it, at around that 55C
temp, that would be an artificial limiter.

>> >My machine was rock stable before this
>>
>> "Before this" means you previously ran apps at full load for
>> extended periods of time or are these the first sessions when
>> it's beeing at full load? Is your ambient room temp higher now
>> than in the past?
>
>Before the new CPU. I had an 1800+ previously.

So this new CPU always locks during extended full load?
Does the motherboard use an in-socket temp sensor or reading
direct from CPU sensor? Motherboard sensors can be wildly
inaccurate. You might see if substituting a higher speed fan
and/or leaving side off of case helps any.

>> How long has the system been built/running?
>
>Years. I've never bought a premade system.

I meant, the major components, how long have they been in
service. For example, motherboard, power supply, or any other
part that is common to the applications causing crashes.

"Scott Streeter" <ss@ccc2.wpi.edu> wrote in message

> About a month ago I upgraded my system to an Athlon XP 3000. Starting
> last week I started getting sudden system shutdowns while running my
> video conversion stuff. I usually will batch a bunch and then go to
> bed so my CPU is at 100% for several hours at a time. The max I've
> seen the CPU temp is about 54-55 celsius while the CPU is at 100%. I
> didn't think that was extreme. I've tried different apps too and had
> my system go down with both. My machine was rock stable before this
> and it seems like a hardware glitch to me. The CPU is still on
> warranty so I can try another one, but if I'm cooking it then I wanna
> know before I replace it. What do you think?
>
> --
> Scott Streeter
> ss@wpi.edu
> http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/

Any question as to whether the power supply is up to the new system demands?

kony <spam@spam.com> writes:

> On 08 Jul 2004 20:09:58 -0400, Scott Streeter <ss@ccc2.wpi.edu>
> wrote:
>
> >> To clarify, shutdown means that the system turns, completely,
> >> OFF? If not, exactly what does it do?
> >> Some hardware monitors (MBM, Motherboard Monitor ) have a logging
> >> function which might be telling if it were enabled while these
> >> jobs ran.
> >
> >Shutdown as in Off, like the plug was pulled on the system. You can
> >image how annoying that can get :p
>
> Check bios setup for a CPU overheat-shutdown temp.
> Check power supply for undervoltage (use multimeter if
> available).

Well it ended up being the BIOS CPU temp monitor shutting the system
down. But it makes no sense since I had it set to 75C and my chip
never got over 55C. Even when I started blocking fan holes to
artificially spike the heat it only got to 57-58C so I don't know
what's up with the temp monitor. I just disabled it, and it's been
fine since. Thanks everyone.

--
Scott Streeter
ss@wpi.edu

On 10 Jul 2004 10:19:14 -0400, Scott Streeter <ss@ccc8.wpi.edu>
wrote:

>> Check bios setup for a CPU overheat-shutdown temp.
>> Check power supply for undervoltage (use multimeter if
>> available).
>
>Well it ended up being the BIOS CPU temp monitor shutting the system
>down. But it makes no sense since I had it set to 75C and my chip
>never got over 55C. Even when I started blocking fan holes to
>artificially spike the heat it only got to 57-58C so I don't know
>what's up with the temp monitor. I just disabled it, and it's been
>fine since. Thanks everyone.

Good to know you resolved the problem. Something like that might
be resolved in a later bios update, you might periodically check
on availability of one, and perhaps reporting this problem to
motherboard manufacturer might help expedite the process.

On 10 Jul 2004 10:19:14 -0400, Scott Streeter <ss@ccc8.wpi.edu> wrote:
>kony <spam@spam.com> writes:

>> >Shutdown as in Off, like the plug was pulled on the system. You can
>> >image how annoying that can get :p
>>
>> Check bios setup for a CPU overheat-shutdown temp.
>> Check power supply for undervoltage (use multimeter if
>> available).
>
>Well it ended up being the BIOS CPU temp monitor shutting the system
>down. But it makes no sense since I had it set to 75C and my chip
>never got over 55C. Even when I started blocking fan holes to
>artificially spike the heat it only got to 57-58C so I don't know
>what's up with the temp monitor. I just disabled it, and it's been
>fine since. Thanks everyone.

The reason the BIOS was shutting you down is probably because the temp
sensor for the CPU is a thermistor located close to, but not in, the CPU
chip case. As I understand it, a lot of mobo manufacturers do this, and
compensate for the inaccuracy of the CPU temp measurement by having the BIOS
add a certain amount to the measurement it gets. In the case of your
machine, the BIOS was probably adding 20 or so degrees. This implies that
you can't _really_ know what the CPU temperature is, so turning off the
overheat shutdown mechanism _might_ cause your CPU to be damaged sometime.
If you can set the BIOS limit to 85C, you probably should do it and turn the
shutdown on again.

Steve O'Neill