[SOLVED] Am I correct in these assumptions?

Dec 1, 2020
Hey! I've never posted before but looked at several posts and learned some things I found very informative and thought I should give it a try to fix my situation. I have a theory and I just want to know if it makes sense or if I'm missing something. Forgive me if I give information that completely irrelevant, I'm not sure what is and don't wanna leave anything out. Also if I'm completely wrong just let me know.

System config:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
Cooler: Idk what model but a tri-120mm rad air from Thermaltake (I'm using the included RGB controller)
Ram: G.Skill Trident Z RGB (4x8GB config) I think at 3600 but ill explain later
GPU: Tri-Fan Zotac RTX 2080-Super (vertically with a Thermaltake PCIe extender if relevant)
PSU: GameMax 750 Watt Full-modular RGB (80+ gold)
Motherboard: Asus x570 pro ace
SSD: 256GB RBG Nvme from XPG
HHD: 8TB 7200rpm Seagate barracuda
Case: Thermaltake p3 (two USB 3, two usb2, and separate mic and headphone jacks for io)

Connected I have two monitors, a USB webcam, a USB mic, mnk, headphones via audio out, and ethernet.

On to the problem. There have been a few. Several times the GPU has simply not been detected by the motherboard and a reseat has been required. During these times the pc would not boot into windows but would boot into Linux with artifacts. Another issue is that my CPU despite being rated to boost to 4.4Ghz will only boost to 3.78 exactly. I've tried auto overclocking from the Ryzen Master options but have had no luck and have still be stuck at 3.78 (in the Ryzen stress test and another one that both pinned it at 100% for several minutes with no boost). The Asus AI overclocking claims to provide an 11% boost but will not boot with it applied due to ram errors. The third part of my issue is that the ram which I believe is rated for 3600 (cause Ryzen y'know?) will not let the pc boot when set to anything over 2133. It did one day, but blue screened 15 minutes later. Every other time (tested at every preset from 2133-3600) the pc will not boot. Each time I have to disconnect both drives to force a boot into bios and reset to defaults there. Today, when looking in the bios, I noticed that the 3.3-volt rail was only getting alternating 2.944 and 2.932 volts. (it was also highlighted in red) This is about a 13% undervote and surpasses the standard atx rate of 5% being the safe limit. HERES where my thoughts begin. Now, my CPU was running on 1.305ish volts and my ram was running on 1.200 volts, so that means both would be on the 3.3-volt rail right? My thoughts are that that would explain the CPU not boosting and ram not overclocking because both of those seem to be results of not receiving enough power. If this theory is correct, the issue would either be the power supply or motherboard. I have a friend who knows more about computers than me and also has a multi-meter that I could probably get over to test the power supply's voltage. Now if the power supply voltage is good then I should try another motherboard right? That's what I have so far and have no idea if any of this makes any sense. If someone more knowledgeable can either lead me in the right direction or confirm what I've come up with that would be much appreciated, thank y'all!

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The PSU you've listed in your specs, to me, is like an expensive paperweight. I'd advise on swapping that unit out for a reliable one, one made by Seasonic or Corsair. If you were working with a reliably built PSU, I'd have asked you to look at other aspects of the build, like the BIOS and it's settings.

Lutfij

Titan

The PSU you've listed in your specs, to me, is like an expensive paperweight. I'd advise on swapping that unit out for a reliable one, one made by Seasonic or Corsair. If you were working with a reliably built PSU, I'd have asked you to look at other aspects of the build, like the BIOS and it's settings.

Solution
Dec 1, 2020

So basically just swap the PSU?