Question Am I crazy, or is my MSI B450M killing my RAM sticks whenever I insert them in the correct optimized slots (A2, B2) ?

xAlfafllfflx

Prominent
Nov 24, 2022
I have an MSI B450M AM4 with 4 RAM Slots. I've made a thread before with a situation about my RAM, since it had died down on me before. I bought new ones and placed them in the optimized locations (A2, B2). Suddenly, a year later, the stick died again, and once more, the RAM stick that died was in the B2 slot again.
But I've checked the RAM stick by placing it in an unoptimized location (RAM sticks are currently A2, B1) and PC works just fine like that).

Is this motherboard of mine just likes "killing" RAM sticks in the B2 port or is this just a me thing? I've cleaned the port and everything, cleaned the RAM itself, and it still refuses to boot to BIOS let alone boot to OS when I use the optimized ports. Place it anywhere else and it works just dandy. Any suggestions for this happening is more than welcome.

xAlfafllfflx

Prominent
Nov 24, 2022
Make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for your motherboard? Make and model of your PSU and it's age? As for your ram, what are you working with?

My Motherboard is an MSI b450m with an AM4 CPU
my RAM Sticks are currently 2x8GB 2666MHz Fury's
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends International, LLC. B.E0, 3/18/2022
PSU: Corsair 550W Bronze, hitting at least 3 years now

Lutfij

Titan
Corsair 550W Bronze
Corsair is the brand of the unit while 550W is the advertised wattage of the unit. Bronze is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating. What is the model of the PSU?

MSI b450m
MSI have a number of B450 chipsetted matx motherboards in their portfolio, which one do you have? You can use CPU-Z to show you under Mainboard's tab the make and model of your board as well as it's BIOS version.

xAlfafllfflx

Prominent
Nov 24, 2022
MSI b450m
MSI have a number of B450 chipsetted matx motherboards in their portfolio, which one do you have? You can use CPU-Z to show you under Mainboard's tab the make and model of your board as well as it's BIOS version.
I got a B450M PRO-VDH MAX (MS-7A38)

Corsair 550W Bronze
Corsair is the brand of the unit while 550W is the advertised wattage of the unit. Bronze is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating. What is the model of the PSU?
is CV550 the one you're trying to find bro?

Lutfij

Titan
If you do your due diligence, the BIOS version you're on is missing from their support site listing which would mean that the BIOS you're on was so bad that it was removed or that they found out it was not the right one for the board. If drivers are needed to help devices communicate with the OS to operate optimally, the BIOS is what helps tie your components to the motherboard.

Furthermore, are you working with a discrete GPU? The PSU you have is actually a rebadged VS unit, which is still a horrible unit to be in a PC. A board can't kill a stick of ram, unless you're creating a short or the PSU is sending stray power to your devices(and that you have a grounding issue). What processor are you on? If your memory controller was busted, you'd have lost functionality on one channel or both, not half of Channel A or Channel B.

xAlfafllfflx

Prominent
Nov 24, 2022
Well I managed to fix it myself! I just unplugged and plugged it again (This solution has been tried before and was done as well BUT it takes a few tries before it actually works!) It's annoying regardless but thank you for the support, bro!