[SOLVED] Am I cursed or are these issues connected?

Sep 24, 2021
I had and still having several issues with my computer despite all my efforts so if anyone could crack this case I would be very grateful.

The problem started around a year back when my computer would randomly restart while gaming so I bought a new PSU. The computer had some issues starting with the new PSU I do have a lot of things plugged into the same outlet so I outplugged some things (even one of the 2 monitors) and then the computer started normally and it never crashed during gaming even after I plugged everything back so I didn't think much of it.

A few weeks ago however my computer started restarting even when I didn't do anything (even on the windows login screen if I left it there for minutes) so it became unusable.
I ended up buying a new /PSU/Ram and tried to put it in one by one but still crashing. After one of the crashes I saw a fatal processor hardware error so I bought a new processor and motherboard.
The problem was that my old CPU was a Ryzen 5 3600 and I bought a Ryzen 5 5600g and a b450 tomahawk max and I had to update the bios with the flash button in order to make it work. Flashing didn't go as smoothly as I had to try 3 different pendrives until it finally accepted but even the 3. one took 2 tries. So I reinstalled windows and everything , drivers up to date but my computer kept freezing. After 10 to 90 minute of usage it froze randomly and I had to restart it every time. Updated the drivers reinstalled everything but nothing. Then I turned off the CPU integrated GPU in the bios and suddenly no freezes. That's cool but then once a day(literally and no more) every program froze and I couldn't exit them because they would stay on the screen and couldn't open anything but videos would continue running until I tried to close them so I had to restart manually every time. That I solved my turning off a setting in the bios that I don't remember the name of right now but basically what it did was that when I wasn't using my Cpu as much it would enter a "rest mode" so it consumes less energy etc. So that got solved so now here I am now with a computer and every part is brand new except for the GPU and it shuts down during gaming(I can play league of legends as it is not using much of the card I assume). I stress tested the GPU and it shut down again completely so no restart this time which could indicate a heating issue maybe ?
If you are wondering why am I saying all this and why not just the last part is because I'm either cursed or these are all connected somehow. I'm very suspicious of my new motherboard as my bios update didn't go smoothly and I can only use 27 gigs of my 32 ram and also when I change anything in the bios my computer restarts like 4 times or more on the booting screen before starting properly. Also I don't think it's normal I have to change so many things in the bios in order to make my computer functional.
Sadly I'm not home at the moment I'm gonna try the stresstest with a different GPU.
What I missed is that I had a warranty on my old Cpu and I sent it back and they are giving my money back so it probably had an issue.

My questions are:
Can a bios update or faulty motherboard cause any of these?
Am I just unlucky or are these issues connected somehow?
Is it normal that I had to change these things otherwise my computer would freeze ?
Could it be that I had a faulty PSU and it fried everything including my GPU which I haven't changed yet?

My current specs are:

PSU: EVGA 600 watt gold
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600g
Motherboard : b450 tomahawk max
GPU : MSI 2060 super
I do have 4x8 gb ram and they are not the same kind.
2x8 patriot viper blackout series 3200mhz
2x8 hyperX fury 3333mhz
I'm only using the hyperx currently but the viper is brand new.

If you read all this well then thank you.
Hopefully someone can make sense of this , Im thinking of replacing my motherboard with a Ryzen 5000 ready one so I don't have to go through flashing again but not sure if that would solve anything.

Solution
I had and still having several issues with my computer despite all my efforts so if anyone could crack this case I would be very grateful.

The problem started around a year back when my computer would randomly restart while gaming so I bought a new PSU. The computer had some issues starting with the new PSU I do have a lot of things plugged into the same outlet so I outplugged some things (even one of the 2 monitors) and then the computer started normally and it never crashed during gaming even after I plugged everything back so I didn't think much of it.

A few weeks ago however my computer started restarting even when I didn't do anything (even on the windows login screen if I left it there for minutes) so it became unusable.
I...

I ended up buying a new /PSU/Ram and tried to put it in one by one but still crashing. After one of the crashes I saw a fatal processor hardware error so I bought a new processor and motherboard.
The problem was that my old CPU was a Ryzen 5 3600 and I bought a Ryzen 5 5600g and a b450 tomahawk max and I had to update the bios with the flash button in order to make it work. Flashing didn't go as smoothly as I had to try 3 different pendrives until it finally accepted but even the 3. one took 2 tries. So I reinstalled windows and everything , drivers up to date but my computer kept freezing. After 10 to 90 minute of usage it froze randomly and I had to restart it every time. Updated the drivers reinstalled everything but nothing. Then I turned off the CPU integrated GPU in the bios and suddenly no freezes. That's cool but then once a day(literally and no more) every program froze and I couldn't exit them because they would stay on the screen and couldn't open anything but videos would continue running until I tried to close them so I had to restart manually every time. That I solved my turning off a setting in the bios that I don't remember the name of right now but basically what it did was that when I wasn't using my Cpu as much it would enter a "rest mode" so it consumes less energy etc. So that got solved so now here I am now with a computer and every part is brand new except for the GPU and it shuts down during gaming(I can play league of legends as it is not using much of the card I assume). I stress tested the GPU and it shut down again completely so no restart this time which could indicate a heating issue maybe ?
If you are wondering why am I saying all this and why not just the last part is because I'm either cursed or these are all connected somehow. I'm very suspicious of my new motherboard as my bios update didn't go smoothly and I can only use 27 gigs of my 32 ram and also when I change anything in the bios my computer restarts like 4 times or more on the booting screen before starting properly. Also I don't think it's normal I have to change so many things in the bios in order to make my computer functional.
Sadly I'm not home at the moment I'm gonna try the stresstest with a different GPU.
What I missed is that I had a warranty on my old Cpu and I sent it back and they are giving my money back so it probably had an issue.

My questions are:
Can a bios update or faulty motherboard cause any of these?
Am I just unlucky or are these issues connected somehow?
Is it normal that I had to change these things otherwise my computer would freeze ?
Could it be that I had a faulty PSU and it fried everything including my GPU which I haven't changed yet?

My current specs are:

PSU: EVGA 600 watt gold
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600g
Motherboard : b450 tomahawk max
GPU : MSI 2060 super
I do have 4x8 gb ram and they are not the same kind.
2x8 patriot viper blackout series 3200mhz
2x8 hyperX fury 3333mhz
I'm only using the hyperx currently but the viper is brand new.

If you read all this well then thank you.
Hopefully someone can make sense of this , Im thinking of replacing my motherboard with a Ryzen 5000 ready one so I don't have to go through flashing again but not sure if that would solve anything.
mixing the ram is not recommended, they could have different secondary and teritary timing for the xmp.
anyways, try these step by step:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios(download, extract the files and copy it to flashdrive, plug it on top rear usb slot then reboot to bios and flash the bios). Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan, choose amd ryzen balanced (skip if you're not using amd 3000 series), and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing amd chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did in the bios), make sure your ram is on slot 2 and 4. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any, install them all (except for chipset driver). Also enable Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduling (available on the latest windows update) in graphics settings like this and reboot:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Solution
Sep 24, 2021
mixing the ram is not recommended, they could have different secondary and teritary timing for the xmp.
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios(download, extract the files and copy it to flashdrive, plug it on top rear usb slot then reboot to bios and flash the bios). Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan, choose amd ryzen balanced (skip if you're not using amd 3000 series), and connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing amd chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did in the bios), make sure your ram is on slot 2 and 4. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any, install them all (except for chipset driver). Also enable Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduling (available on the latest windows update) in graphics settings like this and reboot:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png
Thank you, I will try these steps tomorrow when I get home

Sep 24, 2021
    unknown.png

unknown.png
unknown.png
Sadly this didn't seem to work.
Now things are worse.
First when i checked the gpu cable and I barely touched it while the pc was running my computer immediately shut down. (brand new psu btw)
so i switched the cable to a different gpu cable and now it doesn't shut down if i touch it.
Did everything you said but now I can't even play league, eventually the pc either restarts or freezes completely and I have to restart it.
1 time it even froze when i was installing the new gpu driver.
I keep buying stuff and the issue is still there (even though the cpu was faulty 100% since they gave my money back) only thing left is the gpu I will try it with a different one as soon as I can but in the meantime I can take any advice.
Oh and now my gpu makes noises when I put it under stress, I read thats its coil whine and it's "normal" but this never happened before so just 1 more issue :)
Also I noticed that my pc mainly has issues with restarting the system, it takes 3-4 times and it keeps restarting and eventually starts and when I exit the bios it attempts to restart so that's why I thought that changing anytihng in the bios makes it do that.
Some good news is that the ram issue got fixed along the way, I only use the 16 gb viper now and I plugged it in one by one and restarted the pc each time also reseted the BIOS and now I have 15.9 of 16gb usable memory which is fine. I didn't update the BIOS however because it was already up to date.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS