Am I Damaging my PC?

Robertwhyte

Reputable
May 6, 2014
so on BF4 i have to play with V-Sync off, when its on its a laggy mess, now the problem is im getting maxed out at 200fps and average like 150 on 64 player servers. When under such loads my PC tends to start making a bit of noise, not fan noise, but loud buzzing and some cases of coil whine when im up at 200fps. I just want to know if all this noise is a sign that my PC is being damaged? my temps maxed out at 66c on the GPU and 53c on the cpu, but the temps(obviously) don't concern me, just all that ruckus when under load.

Solution
That's what I was missing :p Fair enough :p

Although I do agree getting a better quality PSU is a good idea, this particular problem does not sound like a PSU problem, though. In a lot of cases, running at high FPS (like 150-200) can cause cards to have a lot of coil whine, depending on the card design and the specific sample you have. This could very well be the problem here, and it's not particularly bad, but it is annoying.

I have not seen any evidence, so damric may be able to confirm/deny this, but a better PSU might indeed help, since then there's not as much electrical noise in the power delivery system of the card, making it work less. This might help quiet down the system, and provide more longevity to it as well.

Robertwhyte

Reputable
May 6, 2014

i know its a crap PSU, a remnant from my previous build, but there is always a 50% split on the subject of whether or not i should replace... there are people on your camp saying its gonna fail any day now or all my components are gonna be killed by it. Then there are people on the opposite camp saying dont worry about it, youre barely even putting it under half load, it will last years.... so help me out here, in a completely non biased way, is it gonna cause problems for my system? (keep in mind i have underclocked my 4790k to 4GHz and have power saving options enabled wherever they can be enabled)

d1rtydeedz

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
Side note: Anything over 75fps is probably a huge waste, you really can't visually see the difference anyhow. When I play I limit my max frame rate and it's smoothed gameplay noticeably. When in BF4 do the following:

To cap your frame rate at 60 FPS, do the following:
Press tilde (~) to open the console
Type in gametime.maxvariablefps 60
Press Enter
Press tilde again to close the console

Hope that helps.

Robertwhyte

Reputable
May 6, 2014

i know i cant lol but when vsync is enabled(cap of 60) i have horrible frame drops and i stutter like crazy, when i let my GPU do its thing and disable it, its smooth sailing and aiming is alot easier. but that command is helpful thank you, ill probably cap it at 80 to prevent the dips from going below 60.

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
That's what I was missing :p Fair enough :p

Although I do agree getting a better quality PSU is a good idea, this particular problem does not sound like a PSU problem, though. In a lot of cases, running at high FPS (like 150-200) can cause cards to have a lot of coil whine, depending on the card design and the specific sample you have. This could very well be the problem here, and it's not particularly bad, but it is annoying.

I have not seen any evidence, so damric may be able to confirm/deny this, but a better PSU might indeed help, since then there's not as much electrical noise in the power delivery system of the card, making it work less. This might help quiet down the system, and provide more longevity to it as well.

Solution

I'd like to see the credentials of the leaders of the other camp ^^

I doubt they have any. No electronics technician or engineer worth his salt is going to tell you that a PSU made with capacitors only rated for 30C are safe for a gaming rig.

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

Frame limiting could very well help here. However, please don't start a "people can't see over X FPS" argument. With a 60Hz monitor, this is definitely the case (not surprisingly), and frame limiting will help avoid coil whine. But in general, several people do notice frame rates well above 75Hz, to 120Hz and above, with the proper monitor that supports said framerates.