[SOLVED] Am I doing math wrong?

Mar 3, 2021
So here's the thing, I bought new cpu, motherboard and ram on Monday. When I finished screwing and plugging, I pushed that power button and... it got into boot loop, turn on for couple seconds, turn off, rince repeat.
So after a day of dancing around, I put my old gtx 1050 instead of 1660s that was in during boot loops and it got into bios without any problems.
I know 1660s is working, cause I put it in my old motherboard and booted with no problems, old motherboard is asrock n68c-gs4 fx, old processor is fx 4300.
New mb and processor are h410m h from gigabyte and i3 10100f.
So here goes the math part. How come 1660s boots with no problem with 95w fx but goes into boot loops with 65w i3? my psu is polish modecom feel 500, pretty lame, but it causes no problem on old mb, so whats wrong with new setup?

Last edited:

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
Make sure card is seated well by taking it out and reinserting it.
Your old card only needed pcie power, but 1660s needs 6 or 8 pin power cable also. I think they all use an 8 pin.
Do you have that and is it connected?

Reactions: Nemesia
Mar 3, 2021
Yes, 1660s needs 8 pin pcie, its connected on old motherboard and all works, starts to boot loop if I use the same connector on new board with 1660s

Mar 3, 2021
I know it's bad, but the thing is, old setup should've drawn more power that the new one, fx being more power-hunry than i3, so why does it boot with no problem on my old setup with 1660s but can't do it on new board?

Mar 3, 2021
Unfortunately, I won't be able to get a new psu until april, still wondering if the new board itself could have something to do with it, consuming less power in theory, but unable to boot with 1660s properly

Alex Storm

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
So here's the thing, I bought new cpu, motherboard and ram on Monday. When I finished screwing and plugging, I pushed that power button and... it got into boot loop, turn on for couple seconds, turn off, rince repeat.
So after a day of dancing around, I put my old gtx 1050 instead of 1660s that was in during boot loops and it got into bios without any problems.
I know 1660s is working, cause I put it in my old motherboard and booted with no problems, old motherboard is asrock n68c-gs4 fx, old processor is fx 4300.
New mb and processor are h410m h from gigabyte and i3 10100f.
So here goes the math part. How come 1660s boots with no problem with 95w fx but goes into boot loops with 65w i3? my psu is polish modecom feel 500, pretty lame, but it causes no problem on old mb, so whats wrong with new setup?
Try to update the BIOS of the motherboard, download from the official website Gigabytes, in the support section

Mar 3, 2021
So I installed windows 10, pc shut down couple times midway through steps, still using new parts and gtx 1050.
After it was through with installation, I logged into windows, about 20 seconds passed and pc shut down.
Next dozen times it shut down either on its way to password input or about half a minute after getting to windows desktop.
So, does it still look like psu's the culprit? Managed to open hwminitor before it shut down and temperatures were in thirties.

Alex Storm

Reputable
Mar 2, 2021
So I installed windows 10, pc shut down couple times midway through steps, still using new parts and gtx 1050.
After it was through with installation, I logged into windows, about 20 seconds passed and pc shut down.
Next dozen times it shut down either on its way to password input or about half a minute after getting to windows desktop.
So, does it still look like psu's the culprit? Managed to open hwminitor before it shut down and temperatures were in thirties.
Possible conflict between memory and motherboard. Check the compatibility on the official website of the memory manufacturer.

Reactions: helper800
Mar 3, 2021
Can you buy a new PSU on Amazon and test it? If it doesnt solve it you can return it.
Nah, don't have money, even if it's for a little while, have read a bit on internet, looks like motherboard can cause power problems too, so it's either waiting until april for psu to make sure it is/is not the problem or calling on motherboard warranty now before checking psu.

Reactions: Bassman999
Mar 3, 2021
To conclude the story, had motherboard checked, it turned out to be fine. Got it out of the case, put it on cardboard, and for some reason it allowed system to boot with 1660s in it.
Installed new drivers and pc was stable when just in windows, but shut down when launching games, although I did manage to get cyberpunk running several times.
So psu was the last thing to check, managed to buy new one before april and now it works fine. Saw some yellow goo inside old psu when unscrewed it, guess some capacitor leaked.
In the end it was boring "bad psu" case, still weird that old psu would let me boot only on cardboard and not inside the case, wonder what was up with that..