Am I doing somethin' wrong with my OC?

Sabeatin

Distinguished
May 3, 2008
First off, my computer:

E4400 (Allendale), 2.0 Ghz / 800 Mhz FSB overclocked to 2.75 Ghz / 1100 FSB (Freezer 7 Pro, stock thermal paste)
EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked (No aftermarket OCing yet. Accelero S1 + 2 fans for cooling)
nVidia 650i Ultra motherboard
2GB G.Skill DDR2 memory, I think 800 Mhz.
500W PSU
http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/6905/ochalpplzef4.jpg Pic of my CPU-Z, Core Temp, Real Temp, SpeedFan and System windows.

With that said, I've read accounts of people easily pushing this processor over 3 Ghz no problem. I've got my computer running at 1.325v vcore. FSB is at 1.3 volts. If I try pushing my FSB any higher though, when I boot up my computer, everything is at stock clock speeds. I even tried pushing my vcore up to 1.375 volts, which I think would be enough for a 1200 FSB.

I'm still extremely amateur when it comes to OCing, this is my first self-built computer, and when I google for guides they seem to just tell me their results and nothing I can do. For example, one website apparently pushed this thing to 4 Ghz on liquid cooling. Not an option for me.

So anyone have any experiences / suggestions for my set up? I suppose I could just keep trying to raise the vcore until it's fine (or until it gets too high). Or does my mobo suck for overclocking? I dunno...

blackwidow_rsa

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
The upper vcore limit is 1.5v so you could put it on that and check if it still doesnt oc better. Also try to raise memory voltage(DIMM), northbridge voltage and VTT voltage a bit.
The nvidia 6xx series chipset isn't the greatest overclocker if my memory serves me right, but it shouldnt be that bad.

Sabeatin

Distinguished
May 3, 2008
Heh, I think I found the limits of my computer.

Pushed the FSB to 1175, giving me a clock speed of 2.9 Ghz. Running Prime95 now to see how stable it is.
A moment ago I tried putting it at 3 Ghz, but I got a BSOD before Windows finished loading all of my start-up programs.

digitalmicron

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
Hey I also have this board and I was looking for OCing guide when I ran across this article.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTMyNSw3LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

"With linked memory and FSB speeds I was only able to reach a little beyond 300MHz FSB. Once I switched to synced mode, things changed quite a bit. I was able to start pushing the FSB speeds up past 400MHz without too much difficulty."

That looks like it should fix your problem.

Sabeatin

Distinguished
May 3, 2008
Awesome, cool- thank you.

Although *cry* I was doing some Prime95 testing just now and my temps were getting really high- 65ºC after only 2 hours of testing. Given it's extremely hot out today (~85ºF) and I don't have any fans in my room yet, but I don't think I'll try to go much higher.

edit; Digital, just out of curiosity, what's your setup like? voltages and everything?

I'm extremely new to OC'ing so if I'm just nervous about changing stuff.

digitalmicron

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
Haha I don't have my system OCed yet. Waiting for the cash to drop on a q6600. Right now I have a Pent D945 which sucks B@lls btw. But my setup is as following:

Pent. D 945 w/ stock HSF
EVGA 650i Ultra Mobo
4 Gb DDR-II 800
9600GT w/ S3 passive cooler
420 W PSU (kinda weak.. I know)
320 GB Sata WD
Coolmaster CM690 (big a$$ case)

I did an upgrade a little while ago and recycled a few things. CPU and PSU. When I get a little more cash I'm going to buy a q6600, 650W PSU, and aftermarket cpu cooler. Hey what kind of cooler you have?

digitalmicron

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
Hey I like the freezer 7. But I already have the passove cooling kit. It came with my video card. I just need to buy the fans to cool my video card even more.

I'll buy probably that stuff when I get my q6600 and new PSU.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
well first thing first its not the best chipset to OC intel CPU.Nvidia mobo is know to crap at OC.

Final%20Max%20OC.JPG

this i put 1.523V in Bios and only get 1.72 in CPU-Z idle.during load it drops to 1.45v.so vdrop and vdroop os pretty bad on it.you will need such high vcore in bios to get a decent vcore in windows.and you will need to increase all voltage apart from SB accordingly.and remember DO NOT set your ram voltage higher then 2.1V it will cause nothing more then trouble!

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
and one more thing.im not 100% sure its my mobo or CPU.even i select the lowest multiplier i wouldget get pass 400FSB on 650i.even i jump to 450mhz it will just wouldnt boot like any speed i set if i go above 400FSB.

3Ghz is the limit on a 650i mobo i would say.i guess you are attracted by the cheapest thing for a SLI board.i got fooled as well.(well actually i was being cheap!lol)