Am I eligible for the Windows 10 free upgrade? (No icon in system tray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtobymc

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
I'm currently running a genuine/activated version of Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit on a custom PC I built myself. I've heard about all these people getting system tray icons allowing them to reserve a copy of Windows 10, but mine has not appeared yet.

After doing a bit of online reading I tried a few methods to make it show up. I've installed all available updates and restarted, re-enabled Internet Explorer 11, and ensured the OS is listed as activated, as well as not being Windows 8.1 Enterprise.

The thing that concerns me is that my copy of Windows came from the Microsoft Volume Licence website. Basically one of my family members works at a school and they're allowed one free copy of Windows at home using the volume licence, so I'm effectively using Windows 8.1 paid for by a school. I'm not sure if this counts as an enterprise version of Windows becuase it's through an organisation, although it's clearly listed as 'Windows 8.1 Pro'.

This is the information shown if I run 'slmgr.vbs /dli' in cmd:
kOqXOr7.png

Any reason why I can't see the reserve icon?

EDIT JULY 2015:
Surprisingly I booted up my PC earlier today and the 'reserve Windows 10' icon has appeared in the taskbar. This popped up days after installing all the latest Windows updates, so I have no idea what was going on. It seems despite having a volume licence copy of Windows I'm still eligible for Windows 10.

Solution
VOLUME_MAK implies an enterprise or site license. In which case you should have an 'administrator' with access to your license agreement that would let them download the upgrade.

xtobymc

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

Did you not read my post?

"I've installed all available updates and restarted"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS