Am I experiencing a hardware issue? System hangs briefly, makes a noise, and loses internet, then goes back to normal.

Oct 3, 2018
Update: The Intel 7260 wireless PCIe card adapter was to blame. Installing a new PCIe wireless card resolved the issue. Strange a wireless card could cause such system wide issues.

Hi, Im having some strange system issues Ive never ecountered before and was wondering if it sounded like a hardware issue instead of a software one.

While playing games my computer will occasionally drop from 60+ fps to 1-5 fps, appears to freeze for a moment, makes "MERRRRR" noise as if the sound effect froze in mid sound, then drops internet. It will the eventually reconnect and go back to normal without rebooting or hard crashing. No BSOD.

I've also had another issue before this while gaming. The keyboard inputs appear to stick or become delayed. For example, strafing left and releasing the key will occasionally continue to strafe left after i released the button. I've changed keyboards so its not that. Once I was able to open notepad and enter keys, it did not respond then a couple seconds later it quickly input all the keys I had been pressing. As if it was some delayed system lag.

Any ideas what would cause the wifi adapter dropping/losing connection from a temporary system hang-up?

Ive tried updating all the drivers, the system passed chkdsk and memtest, no overclocks are running, the temperatures appear in normal range under load, paid malwarebytes virus scan passed.

Specs:
i5-4690k
GTX 970
16 GB RAM
Windows 10
750W Antec PSU
Intel 7260 wireless card

Oct 3, 2018

When I get home ill take some pictures of the event viewer but yes there are errors around the time the issue occurs.

The PSU is 750W and the GTX 970 requires a 500W system. The only other things powered outside the system is the Mouse/Keyboard, little desk speakers, and an external HDD. It has powered all this without issue until now since early 2015. (Antec HCG M HCG-750M 750W ATX12V 2.4 & EPS12V 2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply)

Oct 3, 2018
Checking back in to let you know the solution. I googled my Wireless card adapter, the Intel AC 7260, and there were reports of my same symptoms. I amazon'd a new Asus Wireless PCIe adapter and the issue completely disappeared after the installation. I went from frequent freezes and disconnects daily to none for 2 days after the new card. The Intel 7260 wireless PCIe card was to blame.

Good to know the problem has been identified and resolved. Cheers!