Am I going about connecting my GPU to my PSU correctly?

Apr 13, 2018
I have a work computer that was handed to me. I also recently got handed an Nvidia Titan XP for some computation tasks. I was told to figure out if the card can be installed in my current setup.

My work computer is a Dell Precision 5810. The PSU is 685W, which meets the stated requirement of 600W (more info about the PSU here: https://www.databug.com/Dell-685W-AC-PSU-D685EF-00-p/d685ef-01.htm).

My problem is that the PSU didn't come with any supplemental power connectors. I also see that in the power expansion board there is an 8 pin power slot, but the card require 8+6pin external power connectors (pictures of the expansion board here: http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln301776/dell-precision-5810-power-supply-six-pin-information?lang=en).

Is it okay to buy an 8 pin to 8+6pin cable and use that to power the GPU? It feels weird to buy a cable online and plug it in. Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/8pin-to-8-6pin-Power-Cable-for-DELL-PowerEdge-T620-and-GPU-Video-card-35cm-/141974641859 or this: https://www.amazon.com/Split-Power-Adapter-PowerEdge-BestPartsCom/dp/B06W56XMHP. Ideally there would be an IT department to do this, but it looks like it is up to me.

Solution
NO. If it didn't come with the necessary connections - although, it IS possible for a slip-up involving missing cables to happen - then it's safe to assume it isn't capable of powering the Titan XP. An OEM device works best in OEM setups.
Just looking at pic in the link... just no way. I'm sorry, but a new psu is needed to run that.
Something like this:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($62.89 @ Newegg)
Total: $62.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-13 18:47 EDT-0400

or this:
PCPartPicker part list / Price...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
NO. If it didn't come with the necessary connections - although, it IS possible for a slip-up involving missing cables to happen - then it's safe to assume it isn't capable of powering the Titan XP. An OEM device works best in OEM setups.
Just looking at pic in the link... just no way. I'm sorry, but a new psu is needed to run that.
Something like this:

Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($62.89 @ Newegg)
Total: $62.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-13 18:47 EDT-0400

or this:

Power Supply: Silverstone - Strider Titanium 700W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.63 @ Amazon)
Total: $139.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-13 18:50 EDT-0400

Solution

First problem is the pci-e cable adapter. Worst idea in history.

Second issue is the proprietary design of the psu. An appropriate Psu won't fit. All the internals would have to be moved to a new case.You already covered the expansion board's issue.

2 deal breakers. A new case would only be about $40. The aforementioned Seasonic is perfect...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Using a splitter cable for such a high power draw gpu is asking for a fire hazard.
There's a reason the specs in this guide ask for 1x 8pin and 1x 6pin connectors: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/titan/titan-xp/
I also agree with needing a bigger case for a new power supply.

When you actually look at the shape of the motherboard you can immediately see that the protrusion on motherboard where the rear I/O ports are mounted make it unable to fit into an ATX standard computer case. The 10-pin CPU power connector is also not ATX12V standard.

Dell_Precision_Tower_5810_Motherboard.jpg

Apr 13, 2018

After double checking, the PSU does come with the 8pin to 6+6pin supplemental power cable. I hear everyone's feedback, but don't quite understand. What is the issue with switching this cable with a cable like the one quoted above, if the PSU is rated for enough power to power the card?

Apr 13, 2018

I wasn't thinking of using a 'splitter'. The PSU expansion board has an 8 pin slot to add a supplemental power cable. Currently it has an 8 pin to 6+6pin cable in there. Can I just replace this with 8pin to 6+8pin?

The issue with the Dell PSU and adapter cable is that workstation PSUs have multi rail power. They don't draw from a large single power source. They have separate rails that power 1 or 2 cables. The label on the PSU will show the 12V. rails A,B,C,D etc. You say you've found the connectors. Workstations were often sold with 2 GPU configurations and a larger PSU to support them. You have the larger option already.
The different rails will have different color codes. a 6 Pin PCIe carries 75W, an 8 pin is 150W. But the GPU may not need all 300W that's available from the MB 75W,6pin 75W and 8 pin 150W. Sometimes the extra power is there for overclocking only. In that case maybe the adapter is OK.