Am I going to have a problem with my product key if I reinstall?

Milanna

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
I purchased the home version of windows 10 (not oem) and when I was installing it on a fresh build I partitioned the boot drive. I realized I'd rather not do that though so I want to wipe it and re-install windows.

If I do this am I going to run in to issues with my product key not working? I assume I'd have to de-activate my current key to re-install it on this (same) machine. But I read online if you de-activate it that it's only on your machine and Microsoft doesn't have a record of it so you'd have to call and explain and hope they let you do it.

Is this true :T? The whole reason I went with the full version instead of oem was so I could reinstall as needed....

Solution
You will have zero issues with a reinstall.

1. You have a Retail license.
2. It is on the same hardware.

You are correct in that the 'deactivation' thing you may read about does NOT call home base and do anything.
Reinstall as needed. If, in the unlikely event it does NOT activate properly, call MS.

Consider it just like you would a reinstall after a dead HDD.
No worries.

USAFRet

Titan
You will have zero issues with a reinstall.

1. You have a Retail license.
2. It is on the same hardware.

You are correct in that the 'deactivation' thing you may read about does NOT call home base and do anything.
Reinstall as needed. If, in the unlikely event it does NOT activate properly, call MS.

Consider it just like you would a reinstall after a dead HDD.
No worries.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS