Am I going to have to replace my motherboard?

Trankerlicer

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015
I've just completed building my first custom computer, however I am not getting a 'beep' upon startup and no display on my monitor.

I have unplugged the hard drive, graphics card, cd drive, solid state drive and both ram cards, however there is still no change.
I have an internal speaker that I have plugged in.

My specs are:
AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor.
Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB Dual-X Video Card.
XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

All in a Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case.

Solution
To actually breadboard, you need the absolute minimums. This is mobo, speaker, psu, cpu, cpu cooler and 1 stick of ram. If you get no beep, try just the other stick of ram. If you get no beep, try the stick in another slot. If beep, try the other stick in same slot. You may have 1 bad stick or 1 bad slot. Then plug in the monitor to mobo. It should come up with bios starting then stopping on keyboard error or skip that and go to 'no OS'. You can then start adding other components 1 at a time until you get another error, or nothing happens. That'll be the cause of the problem.

Do NOT try turning on the pc again without the cpu cooler securely mounted to the cpu. That's the fastest way to burn up an expensive cpu.

Trankerlicer

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015

Trankerlicer

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015
Yes I have that plugged in. I seem to have the choice between an 8 pin cable or two 4 pin cables. I'm using the 8 pin cable at the moment and the two 4 pin cables are left loose. Should I do something else with those?

Trankerlicer

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015
I've got somewhere! I removed the fan from the processor and re-put the processor back on. Started without the fan on the processor and I'm getting beeps! However I cant find anywhere in my motherboard manual what it means.
Sounds like 'beeeep, beep beep beep', and repeats.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
To actually breadboard, you need the absolute minimums. This is mobo, speaker, psu, cpu, cpu cooler and 1 stick of ram. If you get no beep, try just the other stick of ram. If you get no beep, try the stick in another slot. If beep, try the other stick in same slot. You may have 1 bad stick or 1 bad slot. Then plug in the monitor to mobo. It should come up with bios starting then stopping on keyboard error or skip that and go to 'no OS'. You can then start adding other components 1 at a time until you get another error, or nothing happens. That'll be the cause of the problem.

Do NOT try turning on the pc again without the cpu cooler securely mounted to the cpu. That's the fastest way to burn up an expensive cpu.

Solution