[SOLVED] Am i good for multiplayer gaming

Oct 2, 2020
Hiii, my family has recently moved to rural internet and we are no longer able to get cable internet (suddenlink). I have dished out hundreds of dollars on my pc and would hate to not be able to play multiplayer games. We have verizon and im wondering if the hotspot can cover it, is 10 mbps good enough for most games or am i out of luck. Alternatively, is there anyone who is in the same position as i am and has a solution for high speed internet in rural areas.

Solution

Starlink is nothing like hughesnet because starlink is low in orbit, which means a 20-30ms latency instead of 400+ms on hughesnet. It also will have thousands of satelites in the sky unlike hughnesnet which connects you to 1. Go on youtube to check out the starlink beta reviews, people are getting 50-150mbps and 20-30ms of latency. It's really that good.

The equipment costs $500 one time and $99 per month for service. National beta should roll out sometime next year.
10mbps is fine for games if its only you really using the internet, I have dealt with CenturyLink for 9 years out here in the country, 10mbps down and 0.71 up, Was good enough for voice, youtube playing at 480p and gaming with friends. Its just downloading some games really sucks. And if you have a family member that is a heavy into media consumption such as youtube, you will feel it in online games.

I downloaded Call of Duty Modern Warfare on that 10mbps connection, talk about nearly a week worth of downloading....

mobile broadband is very hit and miss. It works when the signal from the cell tower is strong and there is not a lot of contention form other users...like during prime driving hours. The pattern might be different with so many people working form home.

When I was forced to use it it would work ok most the time. You still would from time to time get big lag spikes for no obvious reason. Biggest problem is the cost and the data caps.

What you are better off if it exists is what is called a WISP. What they use is similar to what the cell companies use but runs on the unlicensed radio bands. Many modern ones actual use the same LTE data encoding that cell companies use. These use point to point dish on the house so you get more bandwidth and since it is setup for a fixed rather than a mobile user it tends to be a bit more stable latency wise. Look around where you live, people will have flat antenna or maybe what looks similar to a satellite dish pointed toward some high object like a water tower.

I had been planning to build a new house on my property in the country but after having good internet I am not so sure I will move back out there unless the internet situation improves.

Oct 2, 2020
10mbps is fine for games if its only you really using the internet, I have dealt with CenturyLink for 9 years out here in the country, 10mbps down and 0.71 up, Was good enough for voice, youtube playing at 480p and gaming with friends. Its just downloading some games really sucks. And if you have a family member that is a heavy into media consumption such as youtube, you will feel it in online games.

I downloaded Call of Duty Modern Warfare on that 10mbps connection, talk about nearly a week worth of downloading....
lol lucky for me i use my own hotspot so no one else uses it but hehe i tried to download gta on hughes net which we had when we first moved, that did not go down very well because hughes net was giving us 1mbps speeds max during the daytime. Customer service wont do crap except if you get lucky.

Starlink is nothing like hughesnet because starlink is low in orbit, which means a 20-30ms latency instead of 400+ms on hughesnet. It also will have thousands of satelites in the sky unlike hughnesnet which connects you to 1. Go on youtube to check out the starlink beta reviews, people are getting 50-150mbps and 20-30ms of latency. It's really that good.

The equipment costs $500 one time and $99 per month for service. National beta should roll out sometime next year.

Solution
Oct 2, 2020

Thank you so much this is a life saver, if it is infact what it claims i would have nothing wrong with living in a rural area.

Thank you so much this is a life saver, if it is infact what it claims i would have nothing wrong with living in a rural area.

No problem, the current limited Beta is only above a certain latitude and prodominantly around the northwest region of the U.S. Once they roll out more satellites, they'll open up the public beta to all of the U.S. Right now, there are about 955 satellites in the sky, and they're launching roughly every 2 weeks. With each launch, they put about 60 more satellites in the sky. So far, they've launched about 900 satellites this year alone but are now ramping up to do 3 launches per month in 2021 which is about 2,160 satellites next year. They plan to offer full U.S. coverage sometime next year.

The dish is essentially the bulk of the $500 equipment cost. The phased array antenna is NOT cheap, and is necessary to use instead of having a motorized dish instead. The dish also has a built in heater in case of snow and it comes with a wifi router.