[SOLVED] Am I good to go for an upgrade?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2720853
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2720853

Planning to upgrade my pre-built HP Pavilion 580-199ng.

Current pre-built specs:
i7-8700
GTX 1060 6GB Mini
16 GB DDR4
HP Tampa 2 Motherboard
300W ATX Power Supply

Pictures of my PC: View: https://imgur.com/a/IGM3egf

After a few threads and consultation with members from this forum, I've decided to get the following components:

6uIgMDO.png

ZOTAC GeForce RTX 2070 Mini (ATX? Can someone confirm?)
32 GB of DDR4 2400 MHz Corsair Vengeance RAM
and a 650W PSU 80+ Bronze Rating, fully modular ATX form factor.

I checked every component to see if it's going to fit right in my small PC case, I also checked the technical specifications of each component. The dimensions seem good, the PSU seems right, the RAM should work and the GPU is hopefully the right size and form factor.

However, I want some confirmation that every piece will work with one another (ex. does the PSU have 6+2 or 8 pin connectors?) from people who really know their stuff, because I never built a PC before or did upgrades of this magnitude. Thanks!

Solution
From what I can tell in a quick look, the connectors on your mobo seem to be standard. I would check to be sure on the form factor of your current PSU to be sure it is, indeed ATX.

Check your mobo specs to see if the memory you have selected in on the QVL and/or that it can handle the higher speed. Most often with Intel memory speed isn't the issue that it is with Ryzen. It may be cheaper to locate (2) sticks of what is already installed than to buy the other new ones. (it looks like you have 2 open slots)
If you aren't already on an SSD I would look at adding one, or NVME/PCI-e adapter. Do more for your 'seat of the pants' experience than the doubled memory unless you already have some need for that much based on workload.

Should...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
From what I can tell in a quick look, the connectors on your mobo seem to be standard. I would check to be sure on the form factor of your current PSU to be sure it is, indeed ATX.

Check your mobo specs to see if the memory you have selected in on the QVL and/or that it can handle the higher speed. Most often with Intel memory speed isn't the issue that it is with Ryzen. It may be cheaper to locate (2) sticks of what is already installed than to buy the other new ones. (it looks like you have 2 open slots)
If you aren't already on an SSD I would look at adding one, or NVME/PCI-e adapter. Do more for your 'seat of the pants' experience than the doubled memory unless you already have some need for that much based on workload.

Should make this feel like a new machine to you. Have fun.

Oh and edit- blow the dust from your machine more frequently. You should not have a blanket on your cooler.

Solution
D

Deleted member 2720853

Should make this feel like a new machine to you. Have fun.

The pre-built came with an SSD and a HDD I added later.
I will take a look at the PSU's form factor, so far it seems to be good.
EDIT: My current 300W PSU is indeed ATX.
Yes, I was planning to get 64 GB of 3200 MHz memory, but I learned my mobo only supports 32 GB of 2400 MHz so I went with that.

Yeah, I should blow the dust off more. Looking back at it, that's a mess. Gonna add some compressed air cans to the Amazon basket as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: punkncat