[SOLVED] Am I killing my Ryzen?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2720853
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2720853

I have a Ryzen 9 3900X and GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro board, with a Noctua NH-D15 for cooling.

I've decided to try out manual OC (I am only using Ryzen Master to OC), and after a night's worth of research and experimentation, manual OC at 4275 MHz on all cores @ 1.3375V seems to be the most stable. Increased my score from 7203 stock to 7531 in Cinebench R20, and it's generally faster in everything I test with, including CPU intensive games.

My temps never go above 65C in gaming and do not surpass 80C after an hour in Cinebench R20. Stable, no crashes.

On stock settings, I had 4.02 GHz all core @ 1.35V. CPU was reaching 90C during AIDA64.

However, am I killing my Ryzen by having it run at 1.3375V and 4275 MHz all the time? I figured anything at or below 1.35V would be safe for Zen 2? Then again I'm new to Ryzen, so here I am, asking.

Solution
D
Ran ClockTuner for Zen2, managed to get 4.37 @ 1.25V. Thanks 1usmus!

dimtodim

Reputable
I have a Ryzen 9 3900X and GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro board, with a Noctua NH-D15 for cooling.

I've decided to try out manual OC (I am only using Ryzen Master to OC), and after a night's worth of research and experimentation, manual OC at 4275 MHz on all cores @ 1.3375V seems to be the most stable. Increased my score from 7203 stock to 7531 in Cinebench R20, and it's generally faster in everything I test with, including CPU intensive games.

My temps never go above 65C in gaming and do not surpass 80C after an hour in Cinebench R20. Stable, no crashes.

On stock settings, I had 4.02 GHz all core @ 1.35V. CPU was reaching 90C during AIDA64.

However, am I killing my Ryzen by having it run at 1.3375V and 4275 MHz all the time? I figured anything at or below 1.35V would be safe for Zen 2? Then again I'm new to Ryzen, so here I am, asking.
1.35V is fine...and u dont kill cpu but more speed on clock means more voltage and more heat...i have also same cpu and i only offset voltage for -0.1 and that it's works good with good temp Cinebench R20 results 7128 temp around 70

D

Deleted member 2720853

4300 MHz all core was unstable so I took it down by -25 MHz and decided to sit on 4275 MHz, where it seems to be the most stable. At 1.33V. I just need a second opinion to make sure I am not degrading the heck out of my CPU right now

Well if I'm right ryzen master shows the limit of processor temp. Now if your pc gets heated alot the lifespan of your processor decrease I'm sure you are aware of that. Now you need to ask yourself that do you do cpu intense work on your pc if yes maybe get a better cooler if you want to keep your pc overclocked else no need. Also on general use the CPU does not get stressed like Aida64.

D

Deleted member 2720853

The CPU temps are absolutely fine even with OC. I'm more worried about 1.3375 at all core workloads and if it has any substantial impact on CPU lifespan. I know my CPU can spike to 1.5V during a single thread background task, but not so sure about 1.3375V under all core loads at 100%, with 124W TDP.

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
congratz on the successfull OC !

i did an overclock the same way as you on my 2700x : set the voltage manually to 1.33v, and then search for the highest possible stable OC at this voltage, then remove 0,5 multiplier. in my case it's now running at 4100Mhz

on my motherboard, i had also to select a lower LLC setting, because it was giving too much voltage during load, CPU went >80C on custom watercooling on prime95 blend.
So if you experience really high temps in benchmarks, you may check the LLC setting.

with wear, in like 3-5 years you may have to shave another 0.5 multi or so. not a big deal

D

Deleted member 2720853

congratz on the successfull OC !

i did an overclock the same way as you on my 2700x : set the voltage manually to 1.33v, and then search for the highest possible stable OC at this voltage, then remove 0,5 multiplier. in my case it's now running at 4100Mhz

on my motherboard, i had also to select a lower LLC setting, because it was giving too much voltage during load, CPU went >80C on custom watercooling on prime95 blend.
So if you experience really high temps in benchmarks, you may check the LLC setting.

with wear, in like 3-5 years you may have to shave another 0.5 multi or so. not a big deal
By that point I'd have a DDR5 board with a Zen 4 CPU, thanks!

The CPU temps are absolutely fine even with OC. I'm more worried about 1.3375 at all core workloads and if it has any substantial impact on CPU lifespan. I know my CPU can spike to 1.5V during a single thread background task, but not so sure about 1.3375V under all core loads at 100%, with 124W TDP.
I wouldn't call it overclock at those frequencies but that voltage is just fine. As long as average temps are low you could run it forever like that.

Reactions: Phaaze88

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
I wouldn't call it overclock at those frequencies but that voltage is just fine. As long as average temps are low you could run it forever like that.

what kinds of frequencies can a 3900x reach for a manual all cores OC at 1.33v , on air ?
the results OP's got are much better than stock : "4.02 GHz all core @ 1.35V. CPU was reaching 90C during AIDA64. "

just asking, real question

The thing is: nobody really knows for certain, but it's quite probably harming the CPU.

You should probably go read this article about overclocking Ryzen 3000 CPU's. Keep in mind, this is written by and for veteran overclockers, people who REALLY, REALLY pride themselves on pushing CPU's to the limits. They don't mind pushing them hard and hot and they are the ones finding early degradation in their CPU's that they have manually overclocked, many using fixed voltages well below what you are. That's something to consider.

The other thing to keep in mind is you've actually hurt lightly threaded CPU performance although you may not know it. Don't just take Cinebench 20 multithreaded benchmarks, but also take some single threaded benchmarks and compare them. Games, in general, depend on lightly threaded performance.

Also, have you really optimized your system? did you install the AMD chipset drivers, and run the AMD ryzen balanced power plan? if not, you're not really letting Ryzen work properly.

You also need to set up BIOS if you haven't by enabling these settings: Cool n Quiet, Advanced C States, processor CPPC and CPPC Preferred cores.

Using PBO is a much better way to overclock since it leaves the CPU core voltage and frequency in AUTO so it can protect itself against degradation. You should be able to get similar CB20 MT scores, assuming you have decent enough cooling.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2720853

So should I keep it on stock settings, which gives me:
4.02 all core boost
90C in AIDA64
1.31V

Instead of my CTR OC, which gives me:
4.29 all core boost (average, peak 4.37)
75-80C in AIDA64
1.25V at all times

because of 300 extra mhz in single threaded workloads? nah.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
90C in AIDA64
75-80C in AIDA64
The settings you apply do matter here, which everyone seems to like to turn on by default - which is wrong. AIDA is not an all in one stress test.
Simpler to just use Prime 95, Small FFT, AVX settings off, if you want to test cooler thermal stability, and Cinebench R20 'Infinite Loop' to test voltage stability.

because of 300 extra mhz in single threaded workloads? nah.
I can counter this with the fact that not everything you do takes advantage of the all thread CTR OC either, and would benefit from the extra 300mhz single thread performance.
This is why Ryzen 3000 manual OC is so crap. You can't do it without sacrificing performance somewhere, especially on the upper end of the product tier, where the tradeoff is worse.
Some 5 months ago, someone posted about their 4.3ghz OC on their 3950X, up from ~4.1-4.2ghz normally when all threads are stressed, if I recall correctly? 4.7ghz single thread boost...
It's more worthwhile on the lower end, with the 3100-3600.

You do you though...

D

Deleted member 2720853

The cooler is fine, ran Prime95 with the settings you provided. Didn't go past 75C. Cinebench R20 ran overnight last night, stable. These were with my OC applied.

PBO doesn't work. I tried all the PPT, TDC and EDC combinations I possibly could, along with a 200 MHz boost override. Still 4.02 GHz all core boost at ludicrous temps.

I honestly don't see the point of turning this off just for a 4.6 ghz boost in 1 or 2 cores.

Or what should I do, apply the OC only when rendering or using an all core workload, and running the CPU on stock settings during everything else?