[SOLVED] Am I losing anything?

Feb 25, 2020
So I just upgraded my RAM and wanted to take advantage of the new 3200MHz speed that I could utilize. I normally just turn on the XMP profile in the BIOS, and everything works out, however, I noticed that whenever I did use the XMP profiles, my PC would no longer boot, and finally, I saw this was because I guess my MoBo has some sort of max voltage of 1.2V for the RAM sticks. The RAM I just got with the XMP profile enabled tries to use 1.35V so I think that is the issue. I did not want to run at my old 2666Mhz speed so I just changed the speed to 3200Mhz and everything appears to be fine, but I am just wondering am I losing any kind of benefit or performance from only turning up the speed and not using the XMP profile? (I noticed that with the XMP profile it shows various different timings and also the fact that when enabled it uses 0.15V extra volts).

Solution
As @NightHawkRMX says, full specs would be good. It's possible that you aren't running at ideal timings or that the memory is not 100% stable.

A simple boot from a Memtest86 USB will answer the stability question. A screenshot of the memory tab in CPU-Z will help answer the timings one.
Feb 25, 2020
MoBo - ASRock B450M Steel Legend
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
RAM - XPG Spectrix D41 RGB

I know I probably am not running the ideal timings, but I am not able to use the ones it suggest with the XMP, due to being over voltage. Does this have any major impact on the performance? I will do the Memtest86 thing when I get home and show you the CPU-Z screenshot.

Feb 25, 2020
Updating the BIOS could allow the RAM to run at 1.35V? Also, the speed of this new RAM is 3200Mhz and my old speed is 2666Mhz. I know I don't have the ideal timings for this new RAM, but you think it is slower than my older RAM?

Your ram is capable running at 3200mhz 16-20-20-38.
You're running it at 3200mhz 22-22-22-52. Those are terrible timings.
I'd fine tune those.

Set dram voltage to 1.35V. Overclock mode must be set to manual.
15837210490666624904007313301770.jpg.dd7eb6b215c5647e7f1345a3745a692a.jpg

Feb 25, 2020
Well, I didn't yet have the overclock mode set to manual so I thought that was the issue, to begin with. I just set the XMP profile which has those exact timings and it still didn't work. I don't really know how to adjust the timings on my own yet.

Feb 25, 2020
Alright, so I just updated the BIOS, and it still crashed with manual overclock enabled and using the XMP profile. I was just about to adjust the timings myself when I realized that there is 5 different values under the primary timing and I don't know which to change since you have only given me 4. I also noticed that in the pic you took it shows 1.35V as a normal text color, but mine is red no matter if manual overclock is on or not. What BIOS version do you have, because ours look a bit different.

I realized that there is 5 different values under the primary timing and I don't know which to change since you have only given me 4.
If you have 2 lines for RAS# to CAS#, then treat it as a single line. Put same value there.
Leave remaining timings on auto.
I also noticed that in the pic you took it shows 1.35V as a normal text color, but mine is red no matter if manual overclock is on or not.
Can you show a photo?

Last edited: