Am I lucky? i5 8600k @4.9Ghz with heat sink running at 63 degrees on 100% load!

Apr 13, 2018
Hi I have an i5 8600K overclocked to 4.9Ghz... I have a good heatsink, don't even know which brand, but it sure does keep it cool. Is this normal to be getting 63 degrees on multi-core 100% load, or am I just lucky?

Thanks, Ollie.

Solution
In my opinion it is worth taking the side panel off and seeing what psu is installed. If the quality is good you can OC safe in this knowledge, if it’s not you may want to hold off overclocking until you can upgrade this too.

A RAM upgrade to 2x8gb is a good idea. No point worrying about overclocking when a chunk of performance at stock speed is unused.
Apr 13, 2018
I have a 650W PSU and I'm sorry I don't know what the heatsink/CPU cooler is. I got the pc from https://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Gaming+Range/Next+Day+Gaming+PCs/GLADIATOR+LEGION+-+Intel+i5+8600K+Gaming+PC+Inc.+Windows+10+?productId=69285&rqcType=q#rqc.

Thanks, Ollie.

That's a good overclock for those temperatures.

However it is worrying not to know the quality of the psu, there is a huge difference between high and low quality units and overclocking really demands a good quality to avoid risking the system. Looking at that system the other oddity is 1x8gb RAM, this means you are running 1/2 the potential RAM bandwidth as the system is in single channel mode and not dual channel. To upgrade to 2x8gb it is better to buy 2x8gb kit instead of adding another 1x8gb, this is to avoid issues that can occur when mixing RAM not bought as a kit.

In my opinion it is worth taking the side panel off and seeing what psu is installed. If the quality is good you can OC safe in this knowledge, if it’s not you may want to hold off overclocking until you can upgrade this too.

A RAM upgrade to 2x8gb is a good idea. No point worrying about overclocking when a chunk of performance at stock speed is unused.

Solution