Question Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Jul 19, 2019
I have a home security system monitor connected to a home modem/router (ASUS AC68) and the system's monitor has its own internal IP (192.168.nnn.nnn). I know the monitor's web port, let's say it's 1234.

I open IE on a laptop connected to the same internal network as the monitor and enter 192.168.nnn.nnn:1234 and I get the monitor's log-in screen. I enter the username and password. IE is then connected and I can access the monitor. All is well!

I check the WAN IP of the ASUS modem/router, let's say it's 123.123.123.123 then, using the same laptop but connected to the internet via my mobile so from a different IP than the ASUS, I enter 123.123.123.123:1234 into IE but I get a page not found. Ah, I need to setup a port forwarding in the router. On the ASUS WAN > Port Forwarding page I set the Port Range to 1234 and the Local IP to 192.168.nnn.nnn. I try IE again, this time I get the monitor’s log-in screen. Yay! I enter the username and password but after about ten seconds or so I get Login Failed! I’ve tried the username/password combination multiple times and it always works for the internal connection but, despite initially showing the monitor’s login screen, entering the username/password always returns a login fail when connecting with an external IP.

Any idea why the username/password fails for the external connection? :unsure:
Is there another setting I need to make to get the external to work? :unsure:

kanewolf

Titan
Is that port 1234 an HTTPS port? If not, then the login screen may try to switch to a different port for HTTPS connectivity. You don't have that port opened. Does the security system documentation provide any insight on "firewall setup" ?

If not, you may want to get wireshark on your laptop and watch the traffic.

Jul 19, 2019
Kanewolf Hi

Thanks for your reply.

The monitor's settings screen shows that port '1234' is the web port. The monitor's manual says, "This sets up a web browser port via HTTP. If the Administrator changes the Web port, for example 8088, the port number should be added after the IP address i.e. http://192.168.nnn.nnn:8088 should be entered as the IP address of the web browser."
The IP Firewall in the monitor is disabled. There are black list and white list options.

It's been quite a while since I've used wireshark :oops: but it seems that something is blocking information going to the monitor while the laptop is on an external IP.

Jul 19, 2019
Try a different browser.
I've tried Firefox and Chrome. Both return a blank display. I think it's something to do with ActiveX controls. The monitor supplier advises to use IE or, if using FF or Chrome, to use IE Tab. I've tried both FF and Chrome with IE Tab without success. The only thing to work, so far, is IE.