Am i okay if i tend to draw grotesque art?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirals

Prominent
Mar 8, 2019
I love drawing myself, been doin it since i was a child, basically i grew up with this hobby. My drawings have no "meaning", i just like to draw what comes up in my mind. But one day i was into grotesque art, keep in mind that i never really meant to show the drawings publicly. One time i drew a person getting shot in the head, basically my drawings involve gore. It didn't mean anything, i just happen to like gore in general, i wasn't in a bad mood or anything, it came up to my mind, period.

Those drawings i kept private. But overtime my peers started to notice, and my parents are also involved. And for some reason they started feeling suspicious, they kept asking me what does each of those drawings meant but, no i told them many times that i was into disturbing art, them being disturbed and disgusted by my arts. They kept asking me if i was okay, etc. They told me to throw it away and so i did, i kinda was mad at them regarding that. However, I'm here to ask y'all if there's anything wrong with me with drawing disgusting/disturbing art.

May 4, 2020
I don't think there's anything wrong with people who draw grotesque, horrific or other kind of unsavory drawings. People are into a lot of weird stuff. Honestly, one of my favorite places for horror drawings is the ImSorryJon subreddit. It's super weird, but it's neat that there's a community for making Garfield into a somewhat horrific creature.
Anyway, I would suggest for you to think more about why you're interested in drawing like that. Because if people ask and you tell them it means nothing it kind of sounds like you're hiding something. Instead, try to think of some metaphorical meaning. Like, instead of you "Oh, I feel like blowing my brains out" (ridiculous example I know) think like "The pressure of life is too much to bear and I'm looking for an exit".
Not sure if that makes any sense :unsure:

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
If you know there's nothing wrong with you then nope, absolutely no problem. I can see how it's easy for parents to get worked up over something like that nowadays especially if they watch a lot of news/TV/movies/etc... they think that if you draw dead animals or something that it's only a matter of time before you're setting the neighbors cat on fire, it's ridiculous. I mean, what sort of serial killer or criminal SKETCHES what they're going to do before they're going to do it... I guess in the movies some do, lol. If you've done nothing wrong (sketching is not a crime) then I would just tell them in a very clearheaded way "guys I appreciate your concern, but it's completely nothing more than just random sketches..."

Wolfshadw

Titan
Let me just toss out a few names here:

Stephen King
John Carpenter
Wes Craven
Alfred Hitchcock
Bram Stoker
Mary Shelly
H. R. Giger

These are all Horror Artists in either Art, Film, or Literature. I'd say you're in good company.

-Wolf sends

Sep 23, 2020
I used to draw. In year 2 I drew a guy getting brutally eaten by a shark with blood everywhere. It horrified my teacher lol. Also when I was 17 I drew a bullet going through a seemingly empty human skull except there was blood and brains splattering out the other side as the bullet exited. It horrified my parents. In my opinion you should keep drawing gore. There's a band called Infant Annihilator which is like the musical equivalent of drawing gore and other horrific stuff. They aren't for everyone but they're a great band imo. So I fully support your disturbing gore art.

Benjamin22044

Great
BANNED
Aug 17, 2020
Don't think anything is suspicious here unless you feel anything suspicious. I do not deny the existence of supernatural beings, but being attracted to a form of art is something natural and I think this could be a great thing if you do it offer an absolutely natural view.

Status
Not open for further replies.